CoinPeople.com

Post your unconventional denomination coins!

thedeadpoint

I think he just picked "solaris" because it sounded cool; if there's any deeper meaning than that, I don't know it.

I was lucky to get this particular serial number, I think. 37 was the number 42 was chosen over by Douglas Adams, having somehow determined that these were the two funniest numbers, and that 42 was slightly funnier.

My softball uni # is 42 and I'm not a Dodgers or Yankees fan!

910875.jpg

The Soviet array of coinage was weird -- 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 15, 20 and 50-kopek pieces. A lot of other countries had the same denominations, though not many I can think of had all at the same time.

But I can't think of any that had a 15-unit denomination, at least not in modern times.

During the reign of Catherine II (AKA "Catherine the Great") and the rulers before her, they also issued 4 kopeck coins. During the entire tsarist period, the 1/2 and 1/4 kopeck (denga and polushka) coins were also used.

And let's not forget one of the greatest oddities (and rarities!) -- the 37-1/2 rouble donative gold coin, weighing in at 1 Troy oz. of 0.900 gold (it's not mine, unfortunately :cry: ). It also showed a second denomination "100 Francs" which indicated that it might have been originally intended for foreign commercial or government transactions. But they only struck something like 220 of them, and the Tsar used them as gifts to visiting dignitaries and heads of state. The British royal family apparently still has two of them which they received from the Tsar himself:

1_4b312300d6868.jpg

Link to other 37-1/2 rouble coins

• 2 weeks later...

Archived