CoinPeople.com

2 british coins

Davis001

1st coin ( I know its not worth a lot) I have a question about it, when I search for it I find these coins all the time and with the same reverse but my coin has 2 things I cant find on any others... it has 3 stars under the head of Victoria and also she is wearing a necklace in mine, is this normal and am I just missing something?

the 2nd I just found out is A seemingly legal shilling. The same size as today's pound coin. Its reverse face shows the Bear of Warwick Castle with it's staff - siege currency imported into Faringdon around 1644, but NOT legal currency.

image016.jpg

Mine is in a bit better condition, but does anyone know what it may be worth? also can upload pics of both if is needed!

The first one is not a coin, it looks like a token or some model/toy money.

As for the second one, it is certainly modern. Perhaps a souvenir piece sold by Warwick Castle?

Even so, it is exceptionally hard to tell any more with these photographs.

The first one is not a coin, it looks like a token or some model/toy money.

As for the second one, it is certainly modern. Perhaps a souvenir piece sold by Warwick Castle?

Even so, it is exceptionally hard to tell any more with these photographs.

Hope these help a little, though after what you have said they are going to be worthless, still nice to find out though, so thatnks!

Photo0290.jpg?t=1284276674

Photo0291.jpg?t=1284276674

With regards to the "To Hanover" token, take a look at this post linked here: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3503#22994

As for the silver coin, it is definitely a modern reproduction but cannot tell you of what as it is not of a typical English hammered coin.

bear-thumb+.gif

The Bear and Ragged Staff

The origins of these emblems are lost in the distant past, but have been associated with the earls of Warwick since at least as early as the 14th century. William Dugdale, writing in the 1650s, said that Arthgal, an Earl of Warwick at the time of King Arthur, thought that his name came from the Welsh "artos" or bear. He also suggested that the ragged staff was chosen because Morvidus, Earl of Warwick, killed a giant with the broken branch of a tree. Of course, neither of these earls really existed and Dugdale was just recalling medieval legends. The bear was a common heraldic device and implied boldness and courage.

Now used as part of The Coat of Arms of Warwickshire County Council.

Archived