CoinPeople.com

GEORGE IV Visit to Scotland 1822.

His visit to Scotland was important for very many reasons, it had been since Charles I's coronation in Scotland in 1633 since a British monarch visited Scotland - nearly 200 years! There were many commemorative medallions struck, and Leith Banking Company even issued a One Pound note that commemorated his visit - one of the first commemorative banknotes ever. After so long being more or less a backwater the Scots finally felt as though they were part of Britain.

• 5 years later...

Pat, I've just been looking at this:

9229a_zpsfggdazir.jpg

and I'm starting to think that it isn't brass. It's the standard 25 mm and weighs in at 5 gr. Would it be possible to check the weight of your Scottish piece please? I'm thinking that I might have a gilded copper example. It is beautifully golden in tone by the way, just lousy lighting for a hurried shot.

You posted links to a a brass version of this in August that you were watching http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php/topic/28635-george-iv-visit-to-ireland-1821/?hl=ireland and it is BHM#1136 by? W.Woodhouse 25mm AE R. Br. R., so there is a copper or bronze(AE) version so that is most likely what yours is gilded copper.

I cannot weigh either the Scottish or Irish brass medals at this time but, as they are assumed to be issued by a different person, it would not prove anything.

I have it. My nephew has been helping me out with a few analyses, checking the specific gravity of some suspect pieces and he was using this as a reference point thinking it to be brass. When some of the figures didn't look right, he double checked on George and worked out that it was copper.

Thanks Pat, this is fantastic. It's also strange that I was unaware of this yet have many of the titles mentioned in the footnotes. I love the online access to the BNJ with the caveat that it's easy to go in looking for something and come out, three days later, with lots of goodies and precious little idea of what you were looking for in the first place.