CoinPeople.com

russian rouble 1885

mynt

Hello

How much is worth russian 1885 rouble coin?

Welcome to coinpeople, mynt !

Can you show the other side of this ruble, thanks :)

The value of a coin is not what somebody is asking for it. The value of a coin is what somebody is willing to pay. That's a pretty basic concept. I have a US nickel i'd like to sell for $10,000. Great. What would I actually get for it? Probably 5c.

The $1,995 offer price does not reflect where these sell at auction. Not even close.

With all respect to your opinion, I'd refrain from expressing mine basing on poor quality pictures and without even seeing the edge.

Would you judge the below coin as fake without it's edge?

I think the discussion was more about condition, assuming that the coin is genuine.

Of course, authenticity is the most important precondition for such discussions. Also, this is impossible to guarantee by pictures alone. So this discussion, as well as most others on this forum, remain theoretical by their very nature, UNLESS the images themselves show a coin to be fake.

I think the discussion was more about condition, assuming that the coin is genuine.

Of course, authenticity is the most important precondition for such discussions. Also, this is impossible to guarantee by pictures alone. So this discussion, as well as most others on this forum, remain theoretical by their very nature, UNLESS the images themselves show a coin to be fake.

The discussion (actually, topicstarter's question) was not about "condition".

The initial question was "How much is worth...?"

And it is impossible to tell "how much" before one is positive that discussed item is genuine (about which I personally have certain doubts).

Otherwise it's worth nothing.

Nowadays there are lots of fake stuff which are next to impossible to determine by pictures.

And relatively simple designed Alexander II-Alexander III roubles are counterfeited often (see example of one fake rouble below).

The edge is the weakest point still, so it is strange for me that somebody, who considers himself a professional (as WCO), takes courage to value the item without seeing it.

1-1861-F.jpg

Why is there such a high price for this coin http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120427047991....

I have seen a $3 piece of crap listed on ebay for $10,000. The issue is not, as Mr. Steve pointed out, what you ask for it. The issue is what someone is willing to pay. The fact that that nonsense is still on ebay shows that those that viewed it did not believe that to be a fair price.

Then why don't you ask to show it's edge?

Because, I don't need to see the edge.

From available pictures of the 1885 Ruble I already can make reasonable assumption that the coin is genuine. In any case any answer about price of a coin is valid only if a coin is authentic.

Best regards,

WCO

Let's start off with the weight of the coin, mynt.

I've had one negative experience a while back and this is from a US seller. It was to do with a Alexander III ruble, weighed at 18.5g (I can't remember off my head) and that is clearly underweight. Looking at the edge, there is a seam so needless to say, it's a counterfeit.

Hello

How much is worth russian 1885 rouble coin?

in addition to pictures provided

it can be easy to tell you its price

if you can specify two things:

are you going to buy it or you going to sell it :art:

it can be easy to tell you its price if you can specify two things:

are you going to buy it or you going to sell it :art:

I see Economics 101 was not your favorite subject. :hysterical:

Ever heard words "fair market price"? Fair market price - an estimate of the market value of a property, based on what a knowledgeable, willing, and unpressured buyer would probably pay to a knowledgeable, willing, and unpressured seller (see Wikipedia).

As you can see it does not matter who is going to be a buyer and who is going to be a seller.

WCO

Nice ...

But you have to admit that in some cases ... and it is hard to explain why..

same coin goes higher on Auction organized by some guys that call themselves "Auction House"

than in normal, for instance friendly ebay environment... :grin:

So without special pressure some people usually with money but without knowledge will pay much more for some "ape sh..t"

Going back to the coin - question was how much (generally) rouble from 1885 in this condition is worth...

Answer was ~300,00USD..and there is no point in having picture of the edge because it will be still same price for the rouble from 1885 - and it is ~300,00 USD. :hysterical:

Going back to the coin - question was how much (generally) rouble from 1885 in this condition is worth...

Answer was ~300,00USD..and there is no point in having picture of the edge because it will be still same price for the rouble from 1885 - and it is ~300,00 USD. :hysterical:

I think it is obvious that topic starter was not interested in market prices for 1885 rouble "in general"; he was interested in price of concrete coin which he shown (as he probably wants to buy it or to sell it or to simply know how much the coin he has in his possession is worth)...

Anyway, for such professionals as you and WCO maybe not pictures of the edge, but pictures of other 2 sides of the coin are not necessary at all to make a judgement...

But it would be interesting to know if you personally would agree to buy the coin which is shown in this topic for the price that you stated - and with only those pictures available ? Or still you would try to get some guarantee from seller or demand additional pictures?