New additions

bobh

Looks like these two will be heading my way soon:

1897 50 kopecks

1900 50 kopecks

[images snipped because they have been replaced by others]

:yahoo::bhyper:

(from here: Auction 69, Höhn / Leipzig)

For some reason, it seems very hard to find these earlier years in decent condition (let alone uncirculated). The few times I had a chance to bid on better ones of these years, I was always overbid. So I am happy that I was able to win these (for an affordable price, I might add). :)

These are really beautiful coins. Congratulations. My finances are in such deplorable condition I have been staying away from auctions these days. I got a little carried away at the beginning of the year and I need some time to recoup. Therefore I get a vicarious pleasure from seeing you get these beauties.

(With the new format of this forum I am having a hard time finding the appropriate emoticons, so I guess I will do without).

These are really beautiful coins. Congratulations. My finances are in such deplorable condition I have been staying away from auctions these days. I got a little carried away at the beginning of the year and I need some time to recoup. Therefore I get a vicarious pleasure from seeing you get these beauties.

(With the new format of this forum I am having a hard time finding the appropriate emoticons, so I guess I will do without).

Very nice pieces! I am usually buying poltinas in vf/xf grade, so I am not used to seeing such sharp bright coins. Congrats on the purchases. The auctioneer seemed to place very reasonable minimum bids/reserves for most of the pieces, better than I expected. Thanks for the link.

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice pieces! I am usually buying poltinas in vf/xf grade, so I am not used to seeing such sharp bright coins. Congrats on the purchases. The auctioneer seemed to place very reasonable minimum bids/reserves for most of the pieces, better than I expected. Thanks for the link.

Nicholas, glad to see you like my coin enough to use it as your avatar.

Marv

You've got some nice coins Marv! Hard to resist their appeal!

(Note: You may want to refresh your browser window with Shift+F5 ;) )

Pretty soon I'll have to change my avatar as I won't be able to recognize my posts! (LOL)

I'm glad people enjoy the images.

Marv

Pretty soon I'll have to change my avatar as I won't be able to recognize my posts! (LOL)

I'm glad people enjoy the images.

Marv

I think we mentioned it before, but I believe those to be the original images from 2000 Goldberg's auction, just like my avatar. :) Ooops, never mind. I later re-scaned the coin in my avatar.

I think we mentioned it before, but I believe those to be the original images from 2000 Goldberg's auction, just like my avatar. :) Ooops, never mind. I later re-scaned the coin in my avatar.

You're correct. Most of my posted images are from the auctions from which I bought the coins. I didn't mean to imply that I had any problem with the use of the pictures. I figure that the auction photographers do a lot better job than I could do, especially for the coins in slabs. I'm happy that people like the pictures as they are really nice. In fact, perhaps it's a good marketing ploy as I will eventually be selling the coins.

Also, if anyone wants a copy of the Goldberg Hesselgesser (June 2000)catalog, I have a pristine paper-back copy which I will sell to anyone for $25 including media mail postage (in the US). Sometime ago, I purchased the leather-bound hardback copy. This wasn't the only Hesselgesser sale, as you may know; he also had coins as a non-attributed seller in several Superior sales, listed as the "Russian Classics" sale, I, II, and III.

Marv

Sorry Marv, if I should have asked permission to use your photo. Late apologies for that. It is a beautiful coin, and I have no pictures of any of mine. I have no idea how to take coin pictures and I use an iphone for my camera, so that probably would work out terribly.

Sorry Marv, if I should have asked permission to use your photo. Late apologies for that. It is a beautiful coin, and I have no pictures of any of mine. I have no idea how to take coin pictures and I use an iphone for my camera, so that probably would work out terribly.

Don't think twice about it Nick. Use what you want. The pictures are actually off the Goldberg auction site, free to anyone to use. I haven't tried to take my own pictures since I don't think I could do any better than their photographer.

Marv :):)

• 1 month later...

Won this one in today's Hess-Divo auction (auction 318, lot 1355):

RUSSIA_5_Roubles_1909_obv.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_5_Roubles_1909_edge.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_5_Roubles_1909_rev.thumb.jpg

:yahoo:

Don't know yet whether they withdrew the fakes or not, guess I can find out when I pick this one up.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my own pictures. It is really a stunning coin; there is a little die crack, I think, running close to the edge at about 3 o'clock on the obverse.

RUSSIA_5_Roubles_1909_obv.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_5_Roubles_1909_edge.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_5_Roubles_1909_rev.thumb.jpg

:art:

Archived