CoinPeople.com

Various US Coins

Rob75

Hello all,

I would appreciate some advice in relation to these coins.

In particular:

- grade;

- rarity value (I think they are common but would like to have this confirmed);

- value (if any); and

- any interesting facts about the coins (if possible)

As always many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Robert

www.thechestofcoins.com

1 - 1963 One Cent

th_1963OneCentreverse.jpg

th_1963OnceCentobverse.jpg

2 - 1961 Quarter Dollar

th_1961QuarterDollarreverse.jpg

th_1961QuarterDollarobverse.jpg

3 - 1961 One Cent

th_1961OneCentreverse.jpg

th_1961Onecentobverse.jpg

4 - 1952 One Dime

th_1952OneDimereverse.jpg

th_1952OneDimeobverse.jpg

5 - 1941 One Dime

th_1941OneDimereverse.jpg

th_1941OneDimeobverse.jpg

They are all pretty common, however the quarter and dimes are all silver and worth about 13x face value at current prices. The cents are just common and I'm afraid only worth face value right now, though they are copper and technically worth maybe 2-3 cents in copper, though getting someone to pay you that much would be a stretch since these are still pretty common in circulation. Also, the 1961 appears to be in some sort of bezel, not sure what that's all about. As for grades, the 1963-D cent looks to be XF, the quarter looks VF/XF, the two dimes look to be VG/F all based on the photos with the usual caveats and such.

Given that Robert is in the UK I am not sure how easy it would be to find a red book, so this is as appropriate a place as any to find info. I do the same with foreign coins that I come across!

The Red Book has been published since 1946 and there are copies all over the World. My Son was in Poland for college a few years ago and saw them for sale over there. He traveled to many countries and saw them all over the place in book stores. They are for sale all over the internet including even the Walmart Web site. There are virtually millions made every year. Great book for reference.

Jtryka/Justcarl,

Thank you for your responses.

I shall definitely keep an eye open for the 'red book' in local library/second hand book shop as I think it will be worth getting hold of a copy.

However, I am finding that the forums are without a doubt the best place to start. It may seem a little lazy in respect of researching the coin (although I have already learnt a lot in my first few months of where to go etc...) but in terms of being able to gauge your understanding of how to grade a coin, there is nothing better than seeking advice from the more experienced, especially when it comes to placing a realistic value on the coin as I have been to a couple of coin dealers who have offered considerably less than the coin was eventually sold for (i.e. 1797 George III twopenny - offerred .50p but sold for £18.50)

My problem is that I have got literally hundreds of coins to go through in the box given to me and potentialy hundreds more (if not a couple of thousand in my mother-in-law's loft).

Kind regards,

Robert

www.thechestofcoins.com

Jtryka/Justcarl,

However, I am finding that the forums are without a doubt the best place to start. It may seem a little lazy in respect of researching the coin

My problem is that I have got literally hundreds of coins to go through in the box given to me and potentialy hundreds more (if not a couple of thousand in my mother-in-law's loft).

Kind regards,

Robert

www.thechestofcoins.com

Your probably correct about web sites. I suggest you start by sorting all those coins by denominations before you go farther. Of course be carefull with them. Remember that the more scratches, dents, marks, etc. deminish the value per coin. Possibly do not allow them to bang together.

Next would be to naturally sort by dates.

I mention attempting to find a Red Book or anybook about coins would be essential since without some background on what to look for, you may well miss a coin of great value. An example of that would be the Mercury Dimes 1942/42 or the 42D/41. Those are coins where the 42 is over the 41. The D one is really difficult to tell. Of course with pennies there are many, many errors to look for. Some too are not to easy to spot unless you know what your looking for. For those there is a famous web site www.coppercoins.com where the web site originator has two books out on just Lincoln Cents. Might be able to order one from him.

I do urge you to attempt to find a few books on US coins since there are so many things to look for. Although a coin forum like this is great, to ask about each coin if you have thousands becomes really a long drawn out subject. Keep us informed.

Archived