CoinPeople.com

Foreign Banknote Newbie

nojokeve

:ninja:

Hi All!!

I am writing because about 10 years ago my in-laws returned from a trip to Germany with a 20 Franc Note (printed 1997). It was given to me and I kept it in my wallet (completely forgotten) until now.

After being turned down at the forein currency exchange counter at my local airport, I turned to the internet to learn that this currency is no longer in circulation.

My question is: About how valuable is this note now?? I found many different estimates, but nothing definate. I also know that the value will lie in the heart of the one who desires it, but that is not me! Any insight? Thanks!

:ninja:

Hi All!!

I am writing because about 10 years ago my in-laws returned from a trip to Germany with a 20 Franc Note (printed 1997). It was given to me and I kept it in my wallet (completely forgotten) until now.

After being turned down at the forein currency exchange counter at my local airport, I turned to the internet to learn that this currency is no longer in circulation.

My question is: About how valuable is this note now?? I found many different estimates, but nothing definate. I also know that the value will lie in the heart of the one who desires it, but that is not me! Any insight? Thanks!

hello and welcomr to the forum, it will help with a photo front and back of the note

and i think your note is a Mark not a Franc

Hi Nojokeve,

You have a French 20 francs note.

This was the last type that was issued and used from the 1980s until the changeover the the euro.

As you have noted, being an obsolete note, the vast majority (99%+) of money changers will not accept it.

However, it can be redeemed until February 17, 2012, at the Banque du France in Paris for €3.04.

Since it's just a single note, it'd cost more in registered postage to redeem it then it's worth - I'd suggest giving it to a young collector who may be able to appreciate it.

Archived