CoinPeople.com

Canadian One Cent 1859

mikemay

Hard to tell from your pics, but I think it's just a regular narrow 9. In the 2nd pic it looks like there's a little doubling above the tail of the nine, but I don't see it in the other two.

Here's a pic I have of the main varieties (not sure where I saved it from, it was long ago) to help with diagnostics.

It should be noted that there are also a bunch of other varieties for the 1859 coins. I've heard of low 9, I think I have 1 or two of those, the 9 is just a little bit lower/tilted compared the the other three numbers.

Here's a pic of one I picked up on ebay years ago because it looked like the 9 was doubled, but from the pics I couldn't tell what variety it was. It looks like a narrow 9 over 8 to me. The 9 definitely isn't the same wide 9 found on the 9.8 varieties. The wide 9/8 is uncommon and brings fairly good prices (though not as good as the low mintage 1858). In all the 9/8's I've seen, I haven't seen another that looks like mine here.

It should be noted that there are also a bunch of other varieties for the 1859 coins. I've heard of low 9, I think I have 1 or two of those, the 9 is just a little bit lower/tilted compared the the other three numbers.

Here's a pic of one I picked up on ebay years ago because it looked like the 9 was doubled, but from the pics I couldn't tell what variety it was. It looks like a narrow 9 over 8 to me. The 9 definitely isn't the same wide 9 found on the 9.8 varieties. The wide 9/8 is uncommon and brings fairly good prices (though not as good as the low mintage 1858). In all the 9/8's I've seen, I haven't seen another that looks like mine here.

nice one. I also have a few later dates of the large cents also

ha ha nope but it sure looks like it's been in the ground for 151 years

Hi got your e-mail...dug out some of my books (best money I've ever spent) In one there is a very detailed 2 page description of what went on & what to look for along with some great photo's.

I do not believe you have a wide bold 9, this was punched over an previous 8 & a small piece of the original 8 would be faintly visible where the tail of the 9 has a gap to the top of the number & i don't see that detail in any of your photo's...

for the narrow 9, yours is closer to a late form than an early narrow 9...but that bulbous end at the 9's tail looks a lot like a double punched narrow 9.

I don't believe an actual & fair evaluation can be made from the photo.

BUt I do believe you have a narrow 9.

according to my book there were at least 11 dies originally, & as they wore out they distorted the numbers & some other details.

Hi just another note about your coin.

On Friday past, I got my 2011 Charlton Coin book of Canadian coins.

There is an absolutely fabulous section of over 80 pages in the book on Canadian pennies from 1858 to 1900.

With huge scans of the issued coins, various defects & great info on the dies used, recognised individual repunched dies & the coins these had created.

If you are thinking of learning about Canadian Large cents from this period...this is without a doubt best information all in one place I have come across....& NO I do Not work for, nor am I asociated in any way with the publisher or the authors.

Just a collector passing on some news, to fellow collectors, have a great day - More

Archived