CoinPeople.com

Coin dies and engraving plates

thedeadpoint

http://www.coinnews.net/2010/07/28/rare-co...rrency-auction/

Pretty cool. I've seen engraving plates and coin dies for sale before. They would make a great addition to a collection. If I ever complete a series goal, I'd love to add a relevant plate or die. Anyone have one in their collection?

http://www.coinnews.net/2010/07/28/rare-co...rrency-auction/

Pretty cool. I've seen engraving plates and coin dies for sale before. They would make a great addition to a collection. If I ever complete a series goal, I'd love to add a relevant plate or die. Anyone have one in their collection?

No, but now you're making me think I want a set of classic design Jefferson dies to go with my Project when it's completed!

I have token and medal dies and hubs, but American coin dies are rare. I have a commemorative quarter die sold by the mint (Tennessee quarter struck by the die and the die), but the face is 100% defaced. There are commemorative dies from the LA Olympics (I believe that is the event) that are 80% or so defaced and were sold by the mint. There are older defaced US coin dies in the market place that were partially defaced and sold as scrap. Dies are destroyed today or 100% defaced and sold by the mint as collector items.

Other than the dies I made for my tokens...nope. I would love to own a defaced hammer/anvil die set from basically any coin honestly...but enough that I can still use them to make tokens and whatnot...is that considered counterfeiting? Lol. Maybe I'll stick with my own token dies then, haha.

I was fortunate enough to get a 1996 Olympic $5 gold reverse die from the mint -- I think I paid $49.50 for it -- since it's not a circulation coin it is NOT ground down but defaced with an X through it -- I posted a pic of it some years ago -- The Numismatist ran an extensive article about those who actually collect them -- I think mine is one of 78 for that particular die. The Lincoln Cent die I have is totally ground down -- not a real exciting thing...

Thank you. The 1996 Olympic dies are what I was thinking of in my post earlier in this thread. The article in the Numismatist is quite good and the dies an interesting, albeit extremely rare, collectible as tommyd notes.

Archived