CoinPeople.com

2004 Canadian Cent ERROR!

TroyMosher

Found this while looking for my double 00 2004. forgot i kept this. Its pretty neat. A flow of metal circles both 00's. Its a shame that there is something on the coin. obverse in poor shape. What looks to be a "C" in Queens hair??? Also huge metal dot by queens ear? I want to clean this. Should i use acetone and will acetone work to clean this? Someone told me to use hot peroxide. Does that work for cleaning and is it harmless to the coins??

2004-Die-.jpg

2004-DIE2.jpg

2004-Die-Obv.jpg

2004_DIE2.jpg

2004_Die_.jpg

2004_Die_Obv.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Found this while looking for my double 00 2004. forgot i kept this. Its pretty neat. A flow of metal circles both 00's. Its a shame that there is something on the coin. obverse in poor shape. What looks to be a "C" in Queens hair???

Something on the coin !?!

It is corrosion. Canadian copper over zinc over steel planchettes get a scratch through the plating & corrosion happens.

Which gets under the plating & causes all kinds of odd variations with the coin.

Certain acidic substances on coins etc...I am seeing this kind of , I call them damaged coins all the time with the new plated cents. THese coins will never last long when circulating IMO. These things corrode while sitting in the coin tray in my truck, discolor ,corrosion crud, an inferior product doing exactly what one would expect under tough conditions, put a new 2010 cent coin on your floor mat of a vehicle & then check on it in a month to get a better idea of how poorly these coins stand up.

• 1 month later...

Archived