CoinPeople.com

065.jpg
051.jpg

Unlisted Definitive Treaty of Amiens, by Bagnall. The obverse is so similar to the preliminaries & definitive by Kettle & Davies but this is by Bagnall. It is rare enough to find anything by that engraver(just one with Johnston 1821 in BHM) but an unlisted "Peace of Amiens" too boot!

Obv. PEACE. COMMERCE & PLENTY. Dove of peace flying above 3 ships, quay, cornucopia & goods.
Rev. PEACE/ BETWEEN/ ENGLAND AND FRANCE/ SPAIN AND THE/ BATAVIAN REPUBLIC./ PRELIMINARIES. OCT. 1/ 1801./ DEFINITIVE.MAR.27/ 1802.
Exe. Bagnall. AE 27mm.
One of mine by Kettles for comparison.
945983.jpg

One of Vern's(RRRR.) signed by Davies but BHM states by H. Ketle, so perhaps mine by Bagnall was also for Kettle.
898364.jpg

984159.jpg
No other medal relating to the Peace of Amiens mentions Spain or the Batavian Republic.

EDIT:

Bagnall, Thomas (1781-1830/), die-sinker, die-stamper, piercer and toy-maker. Originally in Birmingham(New Town Row) but later c. 1818 in London, where he practised as a die-engraver and die-sinker. Bagnall associated with the firm of Johnston and Brooks in the production of medals.

William Bagnall(1769-1827) was the die sinker, his son Thomas( born 1789-1790) was the die sinker that issued the 1821 medal with Johnston. The date in BHM for Thomas' birth(1781) is incorrect , he was too young to produce this Amiens token in 1801.

:ninja:

A fantastic find, by the looks of it. Well done, Pat! ;) You always come up with some amazing finds and it always makes me think I'm in the wrong line of collecting... ;)

Thanks so much for your nice comments Clive, rest assured, if I was rich enough I would be collecting Hammered too ;) I always enjoy your postings and get the enjoyment of seeing the great pictures of your coins, without hurting my wallet. I must admit that I was very pleased to find this unlisted one :ninja:

Pat, exonumia is by far one of the most rewarding fields of numismatics. There is such a broad range of items and features which one can collect and study. You can always rest assured that I shall always enjoy popping into this forum and delving into one of your topics and appreciating the academia contained within.

Please do keep it up!

Collecting hammered coinage need not be expensive, unfortunately I seem to have a greater love for the more expensive pieces... :ninja:

Hi all! this is my first post. I have this medal, also, Definitive Treaty of Amiens, by Bagnall. It was in a box of coins I found after a relative died. In researching it, I found your post. Any idea where I should take it to find out its value? Not sure I want to sell it, but do I need to keep it locked away? It is a little worn but looks just like the one in the first picture.

Thanks for your help.

Hi & welcome, historically it is valuable but monetarily not so much. I paid 12GBP + 2.50 shipping for mine via eBay, so you do not need to keep it locked away. Mind, I did send pics to the British Museum & received a nice thank you back as they had not see one before, so the value might have risen some from what I paid, especially if it is advertised properly.

Thanks for finding another one!

Hi & welcome, historically it is valuable but monetarily not so much. I paid 12GBP + 2.50 shipping for mine via eBay, so you do not need to keep it locked away. Mind, I did send pics to the British Museum & received a nice thank you back as they had not see one before, so the value might have risen some from what I paid, especially if it is advertised properly.

Thanks for finding another one!

Thanks for the information! It is a very interesting piece of history. Now I am researching other tokens like it. I came upon another site with lots of different stampings for the same purpose. A real underground currency, it would seem.

Lordy, two of them? Fastboat, let me know what you might want for yours and perhaps a pictures?

Pat, I sigh, I weep, I lust! :ninja:

Here are pictures of the coin for The Treaty of Amien. Your's is not as worn. At this point, not interested in selling.

I have also attached photos of a medal or token, perhaps used as local currency in England. I think there were more letters to the left but they are worn away. On the edge it says "payable at Macclesfield Liverpool or Congleton". I have found this quote mentioned on other sites on the internet but none of the ones I looked at had the sailing ship. Anyone seen one like this?

Thanks again!

IMG_5968.jpeg

IMG_5969.jpeg

IMG_5962.jpeg

Here are pictures of the coin for The Treaty of Amien. Your's is not as worn. At this point, not interested in selling.

I have also attached photos of a medal or token, perhaps used as local currency in England. I think there were more letters to the left but they are worn away. On the edge it says "payable at Macclesfield Liverpool or Congleton". I have found this quote mentioned on other sites on the internet but none of the ones I looked at had the sailing ship. Anyone seen one like this?

Thanks again!

Here is the last photo

IMG_5964.jpeg

As far as I can tell you have a Cheshire, Macclesfield conder token(18th century provincial token) 1789-1792, which has been ground flat & then hand-engraved with the ships. Therefore you will not find another one the same. The engraving is nicely done.

It is definitely hand engraved, these are very common on the evasion and regal coppers of the era but I don't see many on the tokens. A nice example! :ninja:

Archived