CoinPeople.com

3 kopeeks 1860 BM

alexbq2

Here is a recent addition to my collection. 3 kopeeks 1860 BM (Warsaw Mint), one year type with the Ekaterinburg style eagle.

983636.jpg

I noticed that for some reason the Conros price guide had upgraded the rarity of this coin quite significantly. In the previous editions it was valued on par with the variety that has the Warsaw style eagle. In my opinion that was a mistake, and this variant is scarcer. In the latest and greatest 12th edition it is assigned an R! Presumably, Conros does not have any statistics of sale of this variant? This once again seems odd.

This website lists 2 past sales of this type of coin: http://m-dv.ru/catalog/id,1401/all-prohod.html

And I know there was one in the Aalborg sale.

Just curious if anyone has any comparative statistics of this type vs. the Warsaw style eagle type?

Alex, in the limited work I've done on this series I've seen the following

1860 BM 3K Ekaterinburg Tail - 3 examples

1860 BM 3K Warsaw Tail - 9 examples

Total - 12 Coins

The Ekaternburg tail coins are Kuenker, Aalborg I (11/2006, Lot 2508, 720USD), and Conros184 (Lot 326, 633RUB).

I've so far seen *very* few BM 3K.

1856 - 17

1857 - 3

1858 - 17

1859 -11

1860 - 12

1861 - 1

1862 -3

1863 - 4

though, as I said, I haven't done very much in these years (perhaps many more images waiting).

Best,

Steve

Alex, in the limited work I've done on this series I've seen the following

1860 BM 3K Ekaterinburg Tail - 3 examples

1860 BM 3K Warsaw Tail - 9 examples

Total - 12 Coins

The Ekaternburg tail coins are Kuenker, Aalborg I (11/2006, Lot 2508, 720USD), and Conros184 (Lot 326, 633RUB).

I've so far seen *very* few BM 3K.

1856 - 17

1857 - 3

1858 - 17

1859 -11

1860 - 12

1861 - 1

1862 -3

1863 - 4

though, as I said, I haven't done very much in these years (perhaps many more images waiting).

Best,

Steve

Thank you for the information Steve! :ninja:

Conros does not have any statistics of sale of this variant?

it does, it computerized very well,

on the other hands, the rarity scale has been always a big concern of everyone dealing with coins :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...

Nice piece..

Talking about rarity.. Noticed that it depends simply on country.

For sure I will be able to find more coins with B.M. in my market than on German ebay..

On the other side it was really hard for me to collect all silver 5 kopeken coins from 1861 - 1881 which sometimes are abundant

on Russian sites.

Nice piece..

For sure I will be able to find more coins with B.M. in my market than on German ebay..

On the other side it was really hard for me to collect all silver 5 kopeken coins from 1861 - 1881 which sometimes are abundant

on Russian sites.

welcome to coinpeople Peter Shell :ninja:

Thank you. Pleasure to see you all. :ninja:

you are welcome ;)

Nice piece..

on Russian sites.

That makes sense. So is it easy to find an 1860 3 kop BM with the Ekaterinburg tail in Poland?

Not so easy :ninja: (after all it is quite rare coin) but probably easier than to find silver 5 kopeken 1880. Of course the second thing is quality...

These days, when national sport is to walk with metal detector, sooner or later someone will have this coin

but you can expect nightmare as we talk about quality..

On our "allegro"/molotok" page every day there is a lot of B.M. kopek's and denga's - but 95% from the ground...

sometimes you see that it was ( was !!) UNC coin..but soil made damages .. no use to have it in collection.

1 from let's say 150 will be good for conservation works ....

I will show you 2 coins from my collection from the ground (after cleaning)- although I don't like coins from the ground in this case made exeption.

984624.jpg

984625.jpg

Personally, I have nothing against dug up coins. I would not be willing to pay a high price for a corroded coin, but I have nothing against adding them to my collection (when better coins are unavailable or are out of my budgetary constraints).

Both of your 5 kopeeks are quite rare, and aren't bad looking. I would be thrilled to own either one.

polish coins are also very interesting and world-wide polular, just recalling an auction couple years ago in new york - there was a real buttle for each polish lot, then for russian by auction schedule :ninja:

Archived