CoinPeople.com

Crimea Kyrmis

sigistenz

I have been watching quite some of the large Crimean Kyrmis coins over the years. They never come in inticing condition.

That is why I have not been tempted to bid on any of them yet. Does anybody know why they mostly have sort of porous surfaces?

:ninja: I cannot imagine that they were cast?? I'd greatly appreciate opinions. Thank you, Sigi

P.S.: There is one on ebay again, hit the link below

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have been watching quite some of the large Crimean Kyrmis coins over the years. They never come in inticing condition.

That is why I have not been tempted to bid on any of them yet. Does anybody know why they mostly have sort of porous surfaces?

:ninja: I cannot imagine that they were cast?? I'd greatly appreciate opinions. Thank you, Sigi

P.S.: There is one on ebay again, hit the link below

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

They are definitely not cast. They were struck in Crimea (at Kafa), and I think some equipment came from Poland and Russia. I think the reason why they don't look so good is that they are mostly metal detector finds, and as such corroded.

Here's mine (I think I've shown it before):

975729.jpg

They are definitely not cast. They were struck in Crimea (at Kafa), and I think some equipment came from Poland and Russia. I think the reason why they don't look so good is that they are mostly metal detector finds, and as such corroded.

975729.jpg

Yes, Alex, thank you, I remember the picture of your coin. I think one cannot expect to find a nicer one. View the site of the Feodosia money museum. It says there that those coins were struck with modern European equipment. Sigi

http://en.museum-of-money.org/view/crimean...ia_1777_1783/4/

-

I have been watching quite some of the large Crimean Kyrmis coins over the years.

Does it look strange that MiM sells Kyrmis copper very often, however their website has no images of any but printed catalogs only; same with m-dv site, i was not able to find any samples, even there are - why they are all NOT under separate category as others, - like Tauric, etc. :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

975729.jpg

Nice specimen. Actually, This one was minted in Baghchih Serai (باغچه‌ سرای). The mint name is written on the third line of the reverse side. I think only the higher denominations were minted in Kaffa. In any case, your specimen is in better condition than the one I have.

Crimea1Kopek1782.jpg

CRIMEA/KRIM (KHANATE)~1 Kopek 1191 AH Year 5=1782 AD

Nice specimen. Actually, This one was minted in Baghchih Serai (باغچه‌ سرای). The mint name is written on the third line of the reverse side. I think only the higher denominations were minted in Kaffa. In any case, your specimen is in better condition than the one I have.

Thank You for the information! I had no idea what that inscription meant. Here you can find an interesting article on this issue (in Russian):

http://zvon-monet.ru/luggage_knowledge/art...ELEMENT_ID=2916

It however stated that lower denominations - kopeek, denga, polushka, were minted at Baghchih Sarai. Also, it turns out, there are 2 variants of the Kyrmis that are distinguished by weight and edge. The lighter coins (~48 gr.) have ornate edge, while heaver coins (~64 gr.) have rope edge. My coin has an ornate edge, and weighs in at 43.5 gr.

Another interesting denomination that I have is this polushka (akche):

978133.jpg

It is listed in Diakov's catalog, but his images for the denomination are wrong - they are of mangirs (1/2 akche). Those are more common and I believe are hand struck.

Thank You for the information! I had no idea what that inscription meant. Here you can find an interesting article on this issue (in Russian):

http://zvon-monet.ru/luggage_knowledge/art...ELEMENT_ID=2916

It however stated that lower denominations - kopeek, denga, polushka, were minted at Baghchih Sarai. Also, it turns out, there are 2 variants of the Kyrmis that are distinguished by weight and edge. The lighter coins (~48 gr.) have ornate edge, while heaver coins (~64 gr.) have rope edge. My coin has an ornate edge, and weighs in at 43.5 gr.

Another interesting denomination that I have is this polushka (akche):

978133.jpg

It is listed in Diakov's catalog, but his images for the denomination are wrong - they are of mangirs (1/2 akche). Those are more common and I believe are hand struck.

That's a gorgeous Polushka/Akche coin you have. With the exception of the hole, the coin has very strong detailing. Most of these are mediocre at best. Also, thanks for the link. Although I can't speak or read Russian (except for the writing), it's interesting for reference.

That's a gorgeous Polushka/Akche coin you have. With the exception of the hole, the coin has very strong detailing. Most of these are mediocre at best. Also, thanks for the link. Although I can't speak or read Russian (except for the writing), it's interesting for reference.

My Kymis coins...

Scan2.jpg

Scan1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Nice coins! What kind of edge do they have?

I could not remember and had to look... one has clearly enge 1, the other looks more like 10 or 11. According to Brekke, these coins should be edge 1.

Take a look and tell me what you think....

Edge.jpg

Archived