CoinPeople.com

possible 1766/4 EM + overstruck denga?

oregoncoin

Here's another puzzle I found in the bottom of my desk drawer... It's a 1766 Ekaterinburg denga that weighs about 3.7 grams (about 1.5g light). It's slightly oval-shaped, not perfectly round, and has the #3 edge - llllllllll. OK, nothing remarkable with any of that, right. The reason I'm asking y'all about it is that 1) it looks like there might be a "4" under the last "6" of the 1766 date, and 2) it looks like there are some remnants of numbers or letters in the upper left field on the obverse that I can't figure out. Since the 1764 denga is a key date, and as far as I know, only a handfull have sold in the past century, it would be cool if this really is a 4/6 overdate. Any ideas about the overdate possibility? Also, what are those numbers / letters are in the upper left field on the obverse? Is it struck on an older coin? Maybe a double strike? Maybe a coin from Sweden or something? (Incidentally, I bought it from a guy in Armenia, if that helps.) Thanks! :ninja:

IMG00396-20100712-2005.jpgIMG00400-20100712-2006.jpg

IMG00402-20100712-2007.jpgIMG00403-20100712-2009.jpg

because of coin condition and from your pics one can come with conclusion that there is no overdate;

also, if it is a overdate it is not listed in Brekke/Bakken supplement 1997 :ninja:

because of coin condition and from your pics one can come with conclusion that there is no overdate;

also, if it is a overdate it is not listed in Brekke/Bakken supplement 1997 :ninja:

When it comes to overdates, I'm affraid that the Bakken supplement is outdated. Even the original publication of Adrianov's book on copper lists the 1766/64 overdate, and many more overdates have been discovered since the publication. Check the coins.su thread.

When it comes to overdates, I'm affraid that the Bakken supplement is outdated. Even the original publication of Adrianov's book on copper lists the 1766/64 overdate, and many more overdates have been discovered since the publication. Check the coins.su thread.

Thanks, Alex. Did I just see a Russian numismatic smackdown? LOL. :ninja: I went over to the coins.su forum. It's like the wild west of coin forums over there - everyone cussing and insulting each other over nothing - or maybe that's just how google translated it. Lots of great info, though. I'll need to sign up to get the photos to compare, but it looks like the overdate is described / possibly photographed on page 82 of the Adrianov book. Here's the URL to the thread I found: http://coins.su/forum/index.php?showtopic=...mp;fromsearch=1

I'll circle back to this a bit later and try to find some pics online to compare to mine, and I'll see if I can take some better shots of my own coin. Oh, and I'll post some pics of my "verified" ;) late die state 1796/5 denga, too.

Any thoughts on those letters in the obverse field, btw?

Thanks! ;)

When it comes to overdates, I'm affraid that the Bakken supplement is outdated.

who said it is not; the reference on Bakken was given as only as handy available at the moment :ninja:

OK, I joined the forum across the street, and CHECK OUT THE PIC OF THE 1766/4...

1764_66_kombi-1.jpg

Sure, as kuna points out so nicely, it's the prettier older sister of my coin, but I'm stoked that it's got the same stuff going on in the obverse left field. Cool!

Thanks for the great tip, Alex! ;)

Thanks for calling my girlfriend fat, kuna. ;)

So, anyone have an idea what my poor-man's 1764 denga is worth? :ninja:

Archived