CoinPeople.com

Huge Roman coin find for hobbyist

bobh

In the BBC news feed today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk/10546960.stm

:ninja:

"One of the largest ever finds of Roman coins in Britain has been made by a man using a metal detector.

The hoard of more than 52,000 coins dating from the third century AD was found buried in a field near Frome in Somerset."

And it was uncovered intact by working with the proper authorities. Now to see it properly studied and reported. Fantastic find.

And it was uncovered intact by working with the proper authorities. Now to see it properly studied and reported. Fantastic find.

:ninja:

I look forward to seeing what becomes available for sale from it down the road...

I look forward to seeing what becomes available for sale from it down the road...

that depends on the Treasurer Act of 1996

it's in the Queens hands now

Actually, many coins from British hoards eventually get dispersed in the marketplace since their greatest value is in the information / knowledge gained from studying what showed up together, why, and how.

After all the cataloguing is done, there isn't really a need to keep the group together, especially given the extremely high number of duplicates that are bound to show up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
"I don't believe myself that this is a hoard of coins intended for recovery," says Sam Moorhead from the Portable Antiquities Scheme.

"I think what you could see is a community of people who are actually making offerings and they are each pouring in their own contribution to a communal ritual votive offering to the gods."

I am skeptical there. Is that ritual attested? If each person tossed in four, that would be a community of 13,000 monetized folk, excluding children, etc., I guess. Also, the coins, "the size of my fingernail" so these would be the little AE3 and AE4, greatly reduced bronze thingees of the military anarchy? Is that right?

I have no opinions, here, just questions. I assume that these recoveries over the centuries have led numismatists to a body of agreement.

Archived