CoinPeople.com

Help with coin ID

BioProfessor

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I spend half the year in the Netherlands and I run across some pretty strange coins. Most I can figure out but there are some that I just can't find anything on. Here are two such coins. Any direction on where to look for information or links to places would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Daryl

The coin with VIII on the reverse is copper and 21mm. The Louis coin is brass and 19mm.

Better8Coin1a.jpg

Better8Coin2a.jpg

FrenchCoin1a.jpg

FrenchCoin2a.jpg

The 1599 date would fit the time frame of other finds in the field. It has always been polder (pasture) and to our knowledge shows that way on all the maps back to 17th century. I've found a lot of these thin copper coins but never one with this type writing. Lots of French Orb Jettons but nothing close to this. We were thinking maybe Belgium but Spain could also fit as we have found other Spanish silver coins on the field. I just can't find a place to start on this one.

I am also positive this is a Jetton and there were so many over so many years, it is tough. It is most likely French but I'm having trouble finding this portrait of the French Louis and of this "number" Louis. Very few have him facing right and the portrait is just not the same as I am finding elsewhere. I know that some Jettons struck for Marie and her demise had trees on the reverse but I cannot find any from Louis - French or otherwise - that have trees. And no mention of King is odd. Gotta love the Jettons.

Thanks for the help. I need it on these two.

Daryl

The jetton is German-made, one of many different ones appearing after the 1793 execution of Louis XVI. Maker is Johann Christian Reich (1758-1840) of Nuremburg; the letters on the reverse right (REC PFE) are for rechenpfennig, the German word for a counter or jetton.

FrenchCoin1a.jpg

FrenchCoin2a.jpg

This is very similar to Hennin #269 & #270 plate 26, except on those the spelling is LOUIS & DE FRANCE instead of LOVIS & FR.. He dates those for 31 Dec. 1791.

LINK TO HENNIN go to page#763, Plate 26, image# 269-270

I think the tree is the "Tree of Liberty" and Louis was by then just "King of The French" not "King of France & Navarre"

Archived