CoinPeople.com

show off your best coin

peterrose4743

Well that is a tough one, ive got a few coins that I find it difficult to choose between for the title of favorite. But I guess it is probably this coin - A 1746 LIMA Halfcrown of George II.

1746LIMAhalfcrown999.jpg

This is my choice because the George II old head design is my favorite and it really shows the style of the period. I also love the crowned cruciform design on the reverse. The detail is also superb compared with many other coins, and this particular coin is in quite a nice grade. Finally I like the LIMA, knowing that we beat the Spanish and took a huge amount of silver as a prize, also the effort that I think it was Captain Anson went to in towing the Spanish Galleon back to England. A lovely coin packed full of beauty and history.

I think I have to say it's this 1868 1/3 Farthing, of which I clearly need a better picture:

977643.jpg

I like it because it's such a strange denomination -- 1/2880th of a pound sterling! It's like if the US had ever issued a 3 mill coin. :ninja:

'Course, if a third of a farthing was considered a coin worth minting, that makes me wonder what the equivalent purchasing power of a pound was...

• 2 weeks later...
I think I have to say it's this 1868 1/3 Farthing, of which I clearly need a better picture:

977643.jpg

I like it because it's such a strange denomination -- 1/2880th of a pound sterling! It's like if the US had ever issued a 3 mill coin. :ninja:

'Course, if a third of a farthing was considered a coin worth minting, that makes me wonder what the equivalent purchasing power of a pound was...

If you think a third farthing was cool how about a quarter farthing!

A Quarter Farthing

In reality these coins were minted for the colonies Malta and Ceylon respectively and were to replace an existing coin of the same value. In the case of the third farthing it was the grani (grain) minted previously by the knights. A similair thing happend in Jersey were you had coins with the following fractions of a shilling: 1/12th, 1/13th, 1/24th, 1/26th, 1/48th and 1/52nd of a shilling. this was due to the exchange rate of the French sous to the pound etc.... Great coins with nice portraits of Victoria.

If you think a third farthing was cool how about a quarter farthing!

A Quarter Farthing

In reality these coins were minted for the colonies Malta and Ceylon respectively and were to replace an existing coin of the same value. In the case of the third farthing it was the grani (grain) minted previously by the knights. A similair thing happend in Jersey were you had coins with the following fractions of a shilling: 1/12th, 1/13th, 1/24th, 1/26th, 1/48th and 1/52nd of a shilling. this was due to the exchange rate of the French sous to the pound etc.... Great coins with nice portraits of Victoria.

Yeah, the quarter-farthing is on my list to obtain.

Channel coinage doesn't thrill me for some reason. Maybe I haven't met the right coin yet.

One of my favorites. It's not a collector coin (i.e., novodel, proof). Also second from left in the COIN PEOPLE site header.

I know it's not a British (or English) coin, but what fascinates me is how a business strike, not a coin that collectors of the period would have wanted such as a proof or novodel, managed to survive being struck, rolling down the chute from the press, and ending up with nary a mark on it (it's in an NGC MS67 holder). You can count the number of early 19th century large silver coins that are graded 67 by a reputable service almost on one hand if you look through their databases. In some cases, the larger silver coins did not circulate and were kept in bags in banks such as the early bust halves in the US. Even so, it's very very rare to find even an MS66 bust half. So this is a mystery coin.

ONE ROUBLE - RUSSIA 1826 (Wings Down design)

1826obv.jpg

1826rev.jpg

Can't decide.

1817 Pattern GREAT BRITAIN CROWN "INCORRUPTA" by William Wyon ex Willis collection. Willis was a well known collector who was seriously injured in a home invasion robbery where the thieves stole much of his gold collection. His silver was auctioned by Glendinning in 1991 in two parts. This pattern was part of sale number 2, purchased by Dr. Ariagno and then by Dr. Hesselgesser. Made its way into the first St. James auction from which I bought it. One was just auctioned in the Baldwins sale in May. Only 18 silver exist. There is another Wyon pattern, the Three Graces. Both were part of a competition with Pistrucci for the new coinage in 1818. We all know that Pistrucci won with his St. George. Fascinating story about Wyon and Pistrucci.

1817_incorrupta_obv.jpg

1817_incorrupta_rev.jpg

Archived