CoinPeople.com

Actual coin pictures versus links to pictures on other web sites.

kopeikin

THE MESSAGE TO OUR MODERATORS.

It is very often that we are not able to see coin pictures on the older topics. Participants would attach the links to other web sites as eBay site instead of attaching actual coin picture files. With a time the links become broken, eBay listings become unavailable. We are loosing important references. Could the moderators introduce a rule forbidding to attache the links to coin pictures rather then the actual coin picture files? Also is not the 100 K limit for uploading the picture too small for today's picture files? I would like to see a limit of someting as 150 K or even 200 K.

Thank you

I'm quite puzzled - how can you forbid people to link ebay picture files?

In my opinion, what is more important is to educate people on how to save pictures onto their computer as a backup and upload them to a site or here. People link ebay picture files because either they don't know how to do upload or being lazy. You can't possibly forbid them from posting because they don't know or being lazy. No, it's not helpful.

Some of our forum members here have been uploading on imageshack.us - which is 100% free. I repeat, 100% free. The limit on imageshack is 5mb per image file so it's very generous. It would be nice to increase the file size quota on this forum but again, this is a free forum run by akdrv and so far, I'm not complaining. :ninja:

If you've reached your upload limit it would be best to switch to one of the free picture sites. There are many and most are quite good. You could then build a library of images that are important to you as well as those you wish to share with others. I've suggested that the site have it's own account on Omnicoin and BankNoteBank but there are procedural and security issues with that. There are many broken links in the virtual museums and I've been slowly attempting to reestablish or replace them but it's quite time consuming.

Linking to an Ebay image might be better than copying the image to another location and then uploading it. Some sellers may not approve of their images being appropriated by someone else without permission.

Check a recent thread in the Help forum to learn how you can free up your Upload space.

But ARt has the best solution - use a flickr/picasa/omnicoin account and link pics from there.

I find the 100k limit a pain in the butt. It means down-converting them in a two step process. First I import them out of Aperture to Photoshop. Photoshop is the only program I know that will compress a photo really well to 47k or so. Then I can bring them into CoinPeople. In this day and age there must be an inexpensive way to increase the storage a bit.

Perhaps in some areas like the "museums" it would be possible to consolidate the photo files off the individual accounts and store them locally on the server.

Up-loading photos to a third party service will always leave the problem of losing links. These services are constantly changing owners and links.

Our policy is to forbid as little as possible and only when necessary.

There will be more space available after a server move and software upgrade that's coming soon. I'm waiting for a more stable release of the new version of the forum software (ETA 1-2 months) However, even with more space I'd still recommend external image hosting for larger files. We can host smaller files here, but large files eat up space very quickly.

I recommend the following for large image hosting Flickr / Picasa / Omnicoin / PhotoBucket

Our policy is to forbid as little as possible and only when necessary.

There will be more space available after a server move and software upgrade that's coming soon. I'm waiting for a more stable release of the new version of the forum software (ETA 1-2 months) However, even with more space I'd still recommend external image hosting for larger files. We can host smaller files here, but large files eat up space very quickly.

I recommend the following for large image hosting Flickr / Picasa / Omnicoin / PhotoBucket

I like Omnicoin, and have posted a part of my collection there! But it shrinks images to such a degree that it is not terribly useful if you’re trying to show the full details of a large coin. Any chance of increasing the size of stored images on Omnicoin?

I use Omnicoin for many images and flickr when I want higher resolutions.

Archived