CoinPeople.com

Rijks Munt Coint Set - Netherlands -

brandonjustice

I've recently been given a selection of coins. I am in no way an expert in such things but upon doing a bit of google research I think I may have something special.

Its a set from Rijks Munt in a black display case with a blue velvet lining, complete with orange inlay card.

Two of the coins are silver with the heads of a man and a woman (Beatrix) the other is bronze with with a big "B" and 30 april 1980, with a palace on the back.

The edge of the silver coins says "God Zij Met Ons" I read somewhere that the presence of the "z" on the edge suggests that the coin is silver and only 157 of these sets were issued. I would like to have this confirmed by somebody more knowledgeable than myself, as i plan to sell them somewhere/how.

Thanks

I do not know if you have seen the question posed & answered here http://en.allexperts.com/q/Coin-Collecting...t-Coint-Set.htm how accurate it is I have no idea, but this is what it says;

Expert: Brad Swain - 1/7/2008

Question

I have a set from Rijks Munt

1. Beatrix Koningin der Nederlanden 30 April

Back side Nederland 2-1/2 Gulden 1980

2. Back side Nederland 1 Gulden 1980

3. Back side 30 April 1980

Three Coins minted set

First two look like silver, the third looks like bronze.

What value does this set have?

Answer

Hi Marjolijn, it may be one of the 504,000 sets issued containing the nickel 1 and 2-1/2 Gulden coins celebrating the new reign of Queen Beatrix (1980-). There were also silver coin sets issued and the coins look white compared to the darker regular nickel metal used. The silver coins also have a Z added to the edge motto which appears on all the regular coins (God Zij Met Ons). The nickel set is worth about $4 while the silver set (only 157 issued) is worth about $2000. The bronze piece is a medal from the mint that probably states the purpose of the commemorative issues.

You might also try a library for a copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins for pictures, values and lots more interesting info.

Brad.

Does yours have an extra 'Z' or just the one in the Motto 'God Zij Met Ons' which means 'God be with us'? Bear in mind also, the regular nickel ones look silver not white, like the silver ones.

Archived