CoinPeople.com

Gibraltar Quarts

Although I'm aware that Jersey, Isle Of Man & Falkland Islands all used £SD before decimalisation & that Guernsey used the Doubles before decimalisation I just found out that Gibraltar used to have "Quarts", does anyone know of any info on these at all please, I've had a quick search but can't seem to find anything.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Honestly I'm not certain of the origin of the denomination but here's a couple examples:

1802 1 Quart

1802 2 Quarts

During the Napoleonic era these were clearly merchant's tokens.

1810 1 Quarto (large date variety)

1810 1 Quarto (small date variety)

1810 2 Quartos

1813 1 Quarto

I always figured since it was a naval port that the tokens were in quarts of beer, but that's total speculation.

Quarto is a local Spanish copper denomination of the time.

e.g. Barcelona 1,2,3,4,6 quartos coins of 1800s-1820s

KM says

4 quartos = 1 sueldo

6 sueldos = 1 pesata

A pesata would be roughly equal to a shilling, making a quart/o esentially a halfpenny.

Quarto is a local Spanish copper denomination of the time.

e.g. Barcelona 1,2,3,4,6 quartos coins of 1800s-1820s

KM says

4 quartos = 1 sueldo

6 sueldos = 1 pesata

A pesata would be roughly equal to a shilling, making a quart/o esentially a halfpenny.

In Gibraltar there were 24 Quarts to the real. The early coins were traders tokens, the only official coinage being issued in 1842

1842_Gibraltar_Half_Quart.jpg

St Helena,

First coins dated 1714 but issued in 1716, struck at the East India Company mint in Madras, consisted of Farthings, Half Pences and Threepences - they are crude and closely resemble the Indian coins being struck at Madras at that time. They are also quite valuable...

Next issue was in 1821 due to a shortage of small change caused in part by the arrival of the exiled Napoleon and his retinue in 1815, however by the time of issue Napoleon was dead and the majority of the coins were returned to be melted.

StHelenaHPenny.jpg

The next coins for circulation were not until 1984.

In Gibraltar there were 24 Quarts to the real. The early coins were traders tokens, the only official coinage being issued in 1842

1842_Gibraltar_Half_Quart.jpg

St Helena,

First coins dated 1714 but issued in 1716, struck at the East India Company mint in Madras, consisted of Farthings, Half Pences and Threepences - they are crude and closely resemble the Indian coins being struck at Madras at that time. They are also quite valuable...

Next issue was in 1821 due to a shortage of small change caused in part by the arrival of the exiled Napoleon and his retinue in 1815, however by the time of issue Napoleon was dead and the majority of the coins were returned to be melted.

StHelenaHPenny.jpg

The next coins for circulation were not until 1984.

Fascinating stuff, so apart from the odd trade coinage and one off issues, these regions never really had their own coins until decimalisation then & in St Helena's case not until 1984, what did they have before then? I take it they used just standard GB coins in the other territories.

Whilst we're talking about the smaller island colonies, did Malta ever have regional coinage with the monarch's heads on or did they just use GB coinage?

Fascinating stuff, so apart from the odd trade coinage and one off issues, these regions never really had their own coins until decimalisation then & in St Helena's case not until 1984, what did they have before then? I take it they used just standard GB coins in the other territories.

Whilst we're talking about the smaller island colonies, did Malta ever have regional coinage with the monarch's heads on or did they just use GB coinage?

St Helena used homeland coins prior to 1984.

Malta did indeed use GB coinage until 1972 (they went decimal a year later than the UK), 3rd Farthings were struck for use in Malta but were issued in homeland style....

The last places to still use Stirling are UK, Falklands, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey and St. Helena/Ascension.

St Helena used homeland coins prior to 1984.

Malta did indeed use GB coinage until 1972 (they went decimal a year later than the UK), 3rd Farthings were struck for use in Malta but were issued in homeland style....

The last places to still use Stirling are UK, Falklands, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey and St. Helena/Ascension.

Fascinating, interestingly odd date to issue regional coins to St Helena & The Ascension, does anyone know why it took so long to issue regional coins there?

Interesting regard Malta as well, I suppose because they had the same coinage as us & that they were such a tiny island they didn't see the need to introduce regional coinage there (barring the 3rd Farthing), may explain why St Helena took so long to get it's own regional coinage.

Interesting isn't it that 100 years ago many regions used pre-decimal Stirling and that even though only a handful of crown dependencies still use Stirling, it's still a very strong currency, barring the last 18 months of so :ninja:

Anyone have an example of all of those? I don't think I've seen a Falklands or St. Helena/Ascension coin.

Why yes indeed I do, I have a set of Falkland coins from 2002 in a presentation pack and have just purchased a St Helena presentation pack from 1984. I also have most of the Falkland coins, loose in various conditions & a few (not all) of the St Helena ones in various conditions as well. If I get a chance over the weekend I'll post pictures of them. The Falklands £1 is seen every so often, I have 5-6 of them all but one is from 1987, however with the exception of x2 £1 coins from St Helena the rest I have purchased, they are so rare over here I keep whatever I can of both of those, regardless of the condition.

Of all of the crown dependencies however the Isle Of Man are my favourites, if only because there has been so many different designs over the past 40 years since decimalisation was introduced. I believe I started a thread on here somewhere for those (has a search)

Jersey & Guernsey on the other hand I don't unless it's of a different year to what I got (I check of course I don't have mental list of them ;)) However the more common ones I just spend again. There's only so many times you can have a 5 or 10p of Jersey/Guernsey of the same year ;)

Here you go, better late than never:

Falklands Islands

FalklandsA.jpg

FalklandsB.jpg

All coins here except the £2, which I have in a presentation pack but it won't scan properly. The 5p & 10p are of the older size but the design remains the same, bonus coin here for the 25th Anniversary of the Liberation of The Falklands.

St Helena & The Ascension

StHelenaA.jpg

StHelenaB.jpg

Only a few here at the mo, coins from this region are very rare in the UK, I'm sure that only the £1 I have received in change, the rest from coins shops/ebay. I do however have a complete set of St Helena coins on their way to me as we speak :ninja:

I am going to now set up a thread as a "guide" as to what to look for when collecting coins with Lizzie's portrait.

Thanks for doing that, Johnny! Andy was kind enough to send me some great pcs too. I think what you are both sharing with the forum is great!

No problem, I'll get the pictures up of the other St Helena coins as well, if you haven't already seen them of course. :ninja:

I have already started (which you have already seen) a thread on coins with QEII's portrait, considering I have quite a few coins of old Lizzie from most, if not all territories/commonwealth countries, I thought I'd share pictures with you all for those interested in collecting coins with her portrait on. ;)

Archived