CoinPeople.com

British American Coins

Not sure if anyone can help here but does anyone know if there were any coins issued in the British US states, with the monarchs head, like there was in Ireland, India, Jamaica, South Africa, etc.

I've not heard of any but seeing as "regional" coins did exist back then in other British Empire Territories I wondered if there were any in the British US states?

Any help greatly appreciated. :ninja:

Evasion halfpennies of course, but they were counterfeits. The closest to regal coinages were the Rosa Americana coins of 1722-4 that had GI on them. Virginia emitted a halfpenny in 1773 that had the British arms.

There were definately coins with British monarch potraits circulating in the US Colonies, before they were States.

Here's a link that may help answer your questions.

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/

Thanks for the link, interesting info.

Why would we want a monarch's ugly mug on our coins?!

Don't you currently have several President's ugly mugs on your coins (oh yes I went there) ;) ;) :ninja:

I just found it interesting that many other British Commonwealth/Empire countries/colonies had their own regional coins that I wondered if the US ever did.

Evasion halfpennies of course, but they were counterfeits. The closest to regal coinages were the Rosa Americana coins of 1722-4 that had GI on them. Virginia emitted a halfpenny in 1773 that had the British arms.

Ah yes, it was stumbling across some pattern reproduction Rosa Americana coins on eBay that have got me interest in these coins. From what I know of the British Empire/Commonwealth coins it seems as apart from the US (for obvious reasons, mainly independence) the only other ex-British colonies that never had coins with the monarchs on were Egypt & Palestine, the rest all seem to. I always though "regional" coinage occurred with George III but didn't realise it started with George I as with the Rosa Americana & Hibernia coins.

Why would we want a monarch's ugly mug on our coins?!

What is the difference with the fugly mugs we have on our coinage currently? Unfortunately every single one of them replaced an allegorical Liberty.

Archived