CoinPeople.com

Genuine coin, but possibly fake NGC slab???

bobh

This grades VF in my book:

NGC AU50 RUSSIA 1841 ROUBLE AUNC sparkling

The only way I can see that this coin got into an NGC slab at AU-50 is ... that it isn't NGC! :ninja:

Can anyone tell me if they can see other things about the slab that would give it away as a fake?

i think there was a thread on this forum sometime ago regarding how to figure out if slab was broke;

yes, this ruble does not look AU very much ;)

The only way I can see that this coin got into an NGC slab at AU-50 is ... that it isn't NGC! :ninja:

Can anyone tell me if they can see other things about the slab that would give it away as a fake?

The coin is certainly showing a disturbing amount of wear for an AU-50. What is puzzling is that this appears to be the newly designed NGC slab, which is supposedly more difficult to break into. There is an area at the top which looks a little suspicious, as if it has a little too much melt. I have a few of these slabs, and mine are all perfectly clear on the edges. ;)

Don't know for fact if slab is real or not (seems fine), but I own an 1841 ruble graded XF45 by NGC. My coin shows slightly more wear than this coin, so based on that I would say there is nothing shady going on here.

this seller has very funny name on ebay: vibil_okna_i_dver_i_balkon_uronil

which means in english - broke out the windows and doors and droped the balkony :ninja:

IMHO, there is nothing wrong with this coin. Just a weak strike which is typical for this type of coins.

Here is another example:

http://www.sixbid.com/nav.php?p=viewlot&am...00&lot=1295

Does it look like a normal MS-63? This is just another example of the weak 1841 strike.

MS63 ruble & its description is another freak sample: Soft slate lilac-gray with peripheral iridescent highlights :ninja:

this seller has very funny name on ebay: vibil_okna_i_dver_i_balkon_uronil

which means in english - broke out the windows and doors and droped the balkony :ninja:

- this is the line from a song by Vladimir Vysotsky.

Re the coin: the best way to tell would be to compare it with the image provided by the NGC web site, but in this case no image (unfortunately) is available. The slab does belong to a 1841 AU50 rouble however.

IMHO, there is nothing wrong with this coin. Just a weak strike which is typical for this type of coins.

Here is another example:

http://www.sixbid.com/nav.php?p=viewlot&am...00&lot=1295

Does it look like a normal MS-63? This is just another example of the weak 1841 strike.

I suppose it would be necessary to hold the coin in person ... the MS-63 has more of an even patina, but the AU-50 coin has that "worn" look to it. I think it has also been cleaned. (Why else would the seller put the word "sparkling" in the item's title? :ninja: )

Archived