CoinPeople.com

1840 3 Kopek no mintmark

squirrel

Ive had this one in my box for a while, and never paid it much attention as it seemed an ordinary low grade coin. I dont even remember where i bought it, either ebay or a coin show...

but recently I was looking at an old Gorny auction catalog, saw an identical coin, in low grade, no mm, sold as a NOVODEL, Uzd 3374. I had assumed my coin had a worn mm, but looking with a loupe, there is no trace whatsoever of any mm, and the patina is consistant and unmolested in the field below the date.

Could a novodel be found in such circulated condition? The Gorny coin, gm 86 oct 1997, lot 2451, is similarly worn, and also appears well circulated.

Opinions??

982141.jpg

in my opinion it is NOT a novodel but regular strike :ninja:

Agreed. Novodels are almost always specimen quality. That is why I am put off.

BUT... these Novodels, Brekke 207, were for the Industrial Fair of 1870. This is only 30 years after the original, and may well have mixed in with circulated coins, and been weakly struck in some instances is not impossible. maybe.

The dots around the border are quite visible at 6 oclock. The date is well struck. Looking under the loupe, there is no hint of a mintmark whatsoever. none. and no tooling marks.

here is a scan of the gm #86 lot. notes are not mine, catalog was ebay purchased.

gm86.jpg

BUT... these Novodels, Brekke 207, were for the Industrial Fair of 1870. This is only 30 years after the original, and may well have mixed in with circulated coins

in circulation with which coins - of 1867 design ?

in circulation with which coins - of 1867 design ?

Your coin is struck in a collar, as only St.Petersburg did, providing regular rims (EM, CM and the no mintmark pieces were not struck in a collar).

As most St.Petersburg 3 kopeks bear a very faint mintmark, I'd opt for a faint St.Persburg mintmark worn away. :ninja: Sigi

Your coin is struck in a collar, as only St.Petersburg did, providing regular rims (EM, CM and the no mintmark pieces were not struck in a collar).

As most St.Petersburg 3 kopeks bear a very faint mintmark, I'd opt for a faint St.Persburg mintmark worn away. ;) Sigi

Thank you for a logical explanation, Mr. Sigi. That makes sense to me. Can you tell if the gm coin was also struck in a collar? I can not tell, by my poor eyes.

I think this one goes back in my shoebox, and not in my trays :ninja:

Opinions??

982141.jpg

it must be noted that Gorny firm has improved a lot since sale 86

for example, the similar coin you questioning here apeared in auction 183 lot 7614

again, it is very unlikely if one assumes that it is novodel (but it is NOT),

and after fair got into circulation among others design coinage as you wrote earlier :ninja:

Archived