CoinPeople.com

Newps!

oregoncoin

Check out some of the nice marmots I picked up yesterday...

IMG01253-20100529-1815.jpg

IMG01252-20100529-1815.jpg ~68.0g

Very nice catch, indeed. Could you do a scan of the 10 kopek? It would make comparison easier, as coins are mostly depicted at that 90° angle. Your coin is struck from dies different from mine (view Omnicoin). Is there a berry on top of the leaves? If so, your coin is a novodel. But from general appearance I'd rather bet on a very well struck and very well preserved business strike.

Congratulations! :ninja: Sigi

Very nice catch, indeed. Could you do a scan of the 10 kopek? It would make comparison easier, as coins are mostly depicted at that 90° angle. Your coin is struck from dies different from mine (view Omnicoin). Is there a berry on top of the leaves? If so, your coin is a novodel. But from general appearance I'd rather bet on a very well struck and very well preserved business strike.

I have never seen an original 10 kop with this type of legend. But, I do not know much about this series.

Hey Sigi! Thanks, and thanks for the info on the provenance on some of my newps before I bought them. That was helpful and I really appreciate it! ;)

I took a straight-on pic...

IMG01373-20100530-1401-1.jpgIMG01371-20100530-1400-1.jpg

I checked out your example on Omnicoin, and saw what you mean about it being a different variety - both obverse and reverse dies. Interesting. I bought it as an original, and it just has that original look, if you know what I mean. I don't think it has that berry you refer to.

What do ya think?

Nice novodels. Possible that the 10 kop is struck using the original reverse die, but cannot tell for sure from these photos.

Interesting. As I mentioned in my reply to Sigi earlier, I don't think the 10 k is a novodel, but I could be wrong. What makes you think it's a novodel?

Incidentally, here's another 2010 newp that some of my collector buddies around here insist is a novodel, but I'm fairly sure that it's just an uncommonly-nice business strike. What do you think about this one...

IMG01381-20100530-1407-1.jpgIMG01382-20100530-1408-1.jpg ~45g

Thanks for sharing your opinions about these coins! :ninja:

Incidentally, here's another 2010 newp that some of my collector buddies around here insist is a novodel, but I'm fairly sure that it's just an uncommonly-nice business strike. What do you think about this one...

IMG01381-20100530-1407-1.jpgIMG01382-20100530-1408-1.jpg ~45g

Thanks for sharing your opinions about these coins! :ninja:

This is definitely a business strike. A novodel would have been executed much more carefully (no weak center on the value side, rims would be much nicer) Sigi

This type of legend? What do you mean? That it's all there, or it's position, or? I'm very interested in your thoughts on this. Thanks! :ninja:

The letters of the "10 kopeks 1770" are very neat and thin. All originals I saw had very crude lettering. It has nothing to do with wear, but the way the dies were made. Somewhat neater letters appear in late 70's, but still not as nice as this. Lettering as this is only seen on novodels.

Now the reverse die is not a novodel die, which is obvious from the die break. There is a possibility that it is an original. There is a possibility that it is a novodel struck with a new die and an original die. I vote for the 2nd possibility. By the way, as a novodel this coin is way more rare than the original even in this condition. (IMXO)

The 10 kop of 1833 does not look like a novodel from the photos. I am 100% certain that it is an original.

Hey Sigi! Thanks, and thanks for the info on the provenance on some of my newps before I bought them. That was helpful and I really appreciate it! :ninja:

I took a straight-on pic...

IMG01373-20100530-1401-1.jpgIMG01371-20100530-1400-1.jpg

I checked out your example on Omnicoin, and saw what you mean about it being a different variety - both obverse and reverse dies. Interesting. I bought it as an original, and it just has that original look, if you know what I mean. I don't think it has that berry you refer to.

What do ya think?

I am sending you a PN with the picture of a novodel (as the picture is not mine, I do not dare to show it publicly) - Sigi

The letters of the "10 kopeks 1770" are very neat and thin. All originals I saw had very crude lettering. It has nothing to do with wear, but the way the dies were made. Somewhat neater letters appear in late 70's, but still not as nice as this. Lettering as this is only seen on novodels.

Now the reverse die is not a novodel die, which is obvious from the die break. There is a possibility that it is an original. There is a possibility that it is a novodel struck with a new die and an original die. I vote for the 2nd possibility. By the way, as a novodel this coin is way more rare than the original even in this condition. (IMXO)

So, BKB, I've got this great-looking, uber-rare, 1770 10k novodel/original hybrid for sale... :ninja:

Seriously, thanks for the information. I just figured it was a nice original. It never occured to me that it was struck by a novodel die.

since you finally got over 25 posts are you going to list your coins for sale :ninja:

Did someone say Marmot?

*my avatar pic is actually a marmot, not a squirrel. Ive been waiting for someone to notice. ;)

It's hard to tell from your avatar because marmots are actually a genus of squirrels, according to this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmot.

The cute little animals on the coin, on the other hand, are actually sables: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sable which are related to martens.

Now I'm wondering how they got two sables to stand on their hind legs (at the same time?) so that they could pose for the artist... :ninja:

It's hard to tell from your avatar because marmots are actually a genus of squirrels, according to this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmot.

The cute little animals on the coin, on the other hand, are actually sables: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sable which are related to martens.

Now I'm wondering how they got two sables to stand on their hind legs (at the same time?) so that they could pose for the artist... :ninja:

When i was rummaging around for pictures a squirrel for my avatar, I found this photo i took while on vacation at the Maroon Bells in the Colorado Rockies. I figured "close enough" but had no idea they were squirrel cousins! The little guys were pretty tame, being fed by tourists i assume, and trained to pose for photos.

My guess is the artist who created the Sables on the Siberian coins had access to the highly trained pet Court Sables. Standing on hind legs comes naturally. The tricky thing was getting them to hold up the cartouche. ;)

My guess is the artist who created the Sables on the Siberian coins had access to the highly trained pet Court Sables. Standing on hind legs comes naturally. The tricky thing was getting them to hold up the cartouche. :ninja:

It took him quite a while however (see an early trial). Picture with kind permission of the Nutbush, TN Museum house ;)

Sigi

10kop1761.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Archived