CoinPeople.com

Post your Jeffersons

Art

I believe it was called "Coin Chemistry" by Weimar W. White. But if focuses almost entirely on silver, and paging through it I see nothing whatsoever about the cupronickel alloy we are discussing--other than a report on deliberately exposing coins in a 1996 proof set to hydrogen sulfide (they toned heavily in only an hour). An index would make this certain, but there isn't one.

Oh, and by the way... that 1996 proof set? He did NOT break it open. He was able to apply suction to one end of it and get the H2S gas to go through the seams in the packaging.

The packaging is not air tight and should not be relied on to prevent toning.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not to get away from the current trend here but I've started looking at my PCGS Jefferson Proofs Registry Set. It's my top priority target now that my Roosevelt Proof set is complete. I have a lot more research to do but wanted to share a few general impressions.

1) Jefferson Proofs in top condition are far harder to find than Roos of the same years and conditions and SO

2) Jeffersons are far pricier than Roosevelts for the same time periods and conditions.

I'm guessing that part of this is because striking nickels is more difficult than striking dimes. I'm currently looking at the 1960s and 1970s and so there is some silver vs nickel strike characteristics coming into play but mostly I'm talking about clads vs. nickels.

Any ideas or thoughts you want to share on this?

You're not doing full steps, right, Art?

I'm not doing "full steps" as a requirement for my sets. I have some FS coins but most are not. Of course proof coins cannot carry the FS designation.

Not to get away from the current trend here but I've started looking at my PCGS Jefferson Proofs Registry Set. It's my top priority target now that my Roosevelt Proof set is complete. I have a lot more research to do but wanted to share a few general impressions.

1) Jefferson Proofs in top condition are far harder to find than Roos of the same years and conditions and SO

2) Jeffersons are far pricier than Roosevelts for the same time periods and conditions.

I'm guessing that part of this is because striking nickels is more difficult than striking dimes. I'm currently looking at the 1960s and 1970s and so there is some silver vs nickel strike characteristics coming into play but mostly I'm talking about clads vs. nickels.

Any ideas or thoughts you want to share on this?

Are you going to be including the SMS issues too? Some of my favorites in my set are really well struck SMS nickels, especially when they have that really light cameo, like they're trying their hardest to be proofs even though they aren't.

Are you going to be including the SMS issues too? Some of my favorites in my set are really well struck SMS nickels, especially when they have that really light cameo, like they're trying their hardest to be proofs even though they aren't.

Absolutely. The SMS issues are required. Now it is possible to get an SMS with FS and a decent grade. They aren't too bad, price wise, but are going up rather quickly.

Absolutely. The SMS issues are required. Now it is possible to get an SMS with FS and a decent grade. They aren't too bad, price wise, but are going up rather quickly.

Really? I don't think I've paid more than $5-$6 for any of mine -- but they're not slabbed and professionally graded.

• 1 month later...

Here are a few new additions to my Registry Sets.

6820629682_9673540ea7_z.jpg

1965 5C SMS MS64 stack2 by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

6820633634_bd51e7f939_z.jpg

1968S 5C PR68DCAM stack2 by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

Way to go, Art!

I love the lustre and finish of the SMS issues.

Thanks for taking a look. My Jeffersons are moving along nicely but I may not finish the PCGS set this year. Too many of the coins that I need run over $100.00 so my purchasing will be slow.

sig.jpg

As you can see out of the 76 coins to complete the set, I have 55. Some time around June/July the 2012 will be added so I'll need 77 for the set.

• 4 weeks later...

Very frosty. What do you think of that special set of Jefferson designs from the mid 2000s?

The Westward Expansion coins are great. I really like the designs and almost wish they would use the Jefferson Nickels as a History of the US circulating commemorative series and change the design a few times or more per year.

1) Peace Medal - Handshake Design

6920202156_08a945e64e_z.jpg

2004S 5C Handshake PF69UC obv 2 by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

2) Buffalo -- one of my favorites

6122112098_94dc3983c8_z.jpg

2005S Bison PR69DCAM rev by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

3) Ocean in View

6519398033_6bc48709ae_z.jpg

2005D Ocean SMS MS66 rev by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

4) Keel Boat

6120955157_f3cb62bfac_z.jpg

2004S Boat PR69DCAM rev by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

Which designs are the ones that are rarer?

There are no rarities in this "mini-series". Some folks feel that the Buffalo design is by far the most popular and therefore harder to find in circulated coins.

• 1 month later...

Some of my newer Jeffersons.

7145774643_998e6ae135_z.jpg

1972S 5C PR67DCAM by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

7145634121_0474d22d3d_z.jpg

1971S 5C PR68DCAM by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

This is a Jefferson that is causing me a very serious problem. I won't go into it here but will update my blog about it sometime soon.

7160235148_f0c7c3837c_z.jpg

1953 5C PR66 PCGS - BAD SLAB!!!! by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

All look great, Art! That 1953's tonight really appeals to me. Is it the image or does the coin have a smokier luster in hand, too?

Lot of nice toning on that coin. Gold and purple highlights depending on how the light strikes it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have one too, i think. Its in a plastic wrap and i would hate to take it out. but here it is

Nice and still sealed in the Littleton wrapper. Those wrappers are supposed to protect the coin from tarnish and spotting. So don't open it unless you have an alternative for storing safely. :bthumbsup: