Art

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice !

Great coins Art, I need that 1986s to go with my Ellis Island dollar and half.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I like the Ellis Island coins a lot. Great design and they surely commemorate an important part of our history.

Art

I thank you for this GREAT THREAD,

I love the Jefferson, I am building three complete folders, or trying with all proofs.

I know it is a tall order buy I have a lot of fun trying.

I just hope I can get the really old ones in mint or proof.

Alan

Great toning pics. Can you tell us a bit about how you managed to capture the colors so beautifully?

Honstly, sheer luck. I'd set them on a kitchen chair almost but not quite directly under the ceiling fan while rummaging around for my camera and happened to notice that from directly above, the colors reflected really well. The ceiling fan has four CFL bulbs in it at about 7' above the ground -- maybe 5' above the coin? Anyway, I positioned my camera about 2.5-3' directly above it -- I love tripods that adjust in every direction -- and set it to maximum optical-only magnification, center-meter, and center-focus. I suspect that since the overhead light was towards but *not* directly at the camera, I was able to get the bright colors.

It did not work with proof issues, which reflected the light more directly.

Art

I thank you for this GREAT THREAD,

I love the Jefferson, I am building three complete folders, or trying with all proofs.

I know it is a tall order buy I have a lot of fun trying.

I just hope I can get the really old ones in mint or proof.

Alan

Even the earliest ones are quite reasonable in mint, relatively. The 39D will be about $100, and the 39S a little south of that. You won't get into trouble unless you start getting fussy over full steps, or want the errors. If you want the proofs, the only ones that will put a serious bite on you are the earliest six: 1938-1942/1942P. And sometimes you can get just flat lucky. I got my '56 and '57 proofs for a buck each because the guy was liquidating an estate and just didn't care.

I've even started hearing a little voice in the back of my head suggesting twin sets -- one blast white, the other toners... anyone got some thorazine I can borrow? :hysterical:

Even the earliest ones are quite reasonable in mint, relatively. The 39D will be about $100, and the 39S a little south of that. You won't get into trouble unless you start getting fussy over full steps, or want the errors. If you want the proofs, the only ones that will put a serious bite on you are the earliest six: 1938-1942/1942P. And sometimes you can get just flat lucky. I got my '56 and '57 proofs for a buck each because the guy was liquidating an estate and just didn't care.

I've even started hearing a little voice in the back of my head suggesting twin sets -- one blast white, the other toners... anyone got some thorazine I can borrow? :hysterical:

I'm still working on my blast white unc/proof raw set. The coins can be quite difficult to find. I've never thought of a toner set but that could be very nice to do. Keep us updated as you go?

Honstly, sheer luck. I'd set them on a kitchen chair almost but not quite directly under the ceiling fan while rummaging around for my camera and happened to notice that from directly above, the colors reflected really well. The ceiling fan has four CFL bulbs in it at about 7' above the ground -- maybe 5' above the coin? Anyway, I positioned my camera about 2.5-3' directly above it -- I love tripods that adjust in every direction -- and set it to maximum optical-only magnification, center-meter, and center-focus. I suspect that since the overhead light was towards but *not* directly at the camera, I was able to get the bright colors.

It did not work with proof issues, which reflected the light more directly.

I've been experimenting a bit with lighting and such but haven't made much solid progress. I think the images are acceptable but want to try to get full-frame shots of just the coins soon. Another camera setup to work out.

I'm still working on my blast white unc/proof raw set. The coins can be quite difficult to find. I've never thought of a toner set but that could be very nice to do. Keep us updated as you go?

My Jefferson project has settled in to just coins that really catch my eye, whether white or toned. The nice thing about the Jeffs is that twin sets are feasible, and might even make a nice display for a CSNS show some day. It's not like Lincolns where I'd need to find both a red and an appealingly toned 1909SVDB :shock:

• 2 months later...

Did you get that gorgeous coin slabbed or in this year's set?

Same as the dimes. Most modern years of PF69DCAMs cost less than just having the coin certified. I believe I paid about $11 dollars for that one.

There's a fellow here in town who buys a large number of proof and mint sets each year and submits them, unopened, to NGC for certification. According to him, he makes a nice profit by doing this just because he hits on the PF70 and high mint state coins. Not sure if this is "book" profit or if he's actually selling them and making money. It costs quite a bit to sell a large number of slabbed coins and lots do ok but from what I've seen the lot prices produce fairly low dollars per coin, especially for PR69DCAM common type stuff.

• 2 weeks later...