CoinPeople.com

Singapore new 2- and 10-dollar note varieties confirmed

Guest Global

Guest Global

Collectors in Singapore have recently discovered that some of the polymer notes in circulation have small squares beneath the titles on the back vignette. Specifically, the 2-dollar note (Pick 46) has been confirmed both with and without a single square beneath the word EDUCATION, and the 10-dollar note (not listed in SCWPM; shown above) has been confirmed with none, one, and two squares beneath the word SPORTS.

If anyone knows the purpose of these squares, or is aware of other denominations or varieties, please share your info and images.

post-8432-1273634046_thumb.jpg

Collectors in Singapore have recently discovered that some of the polymer notes in circulation have small squares beneath the titles on the back vignette. Specifically, the 2-dollar note (Pick 46) has been confirmed both with and without a single square beneath the word EDUCATION, and the 10-dollar note (not listed in SCWPM; shown above) has been confirmed with none, one, and two squares beneath the word SPORTS.

If anyone knows the purpose of these squares, or is aware of other denominations or varieties, please share your info and images.

From my understanding it is a non-public security feature. They are not mentioned on the security features page.

http://www.mas.gov.sg/currency/currency_in...uine_Notes.html

or

http://www.mas.gov.sg/currency/currency_in...feit_Notes.html

Look at it under a 50x microsope, it may be the platform for a RFID and an antena

From my understanding it is a non-public security feature. They are not mentioned on the security features page.

http://www.mas.gov.sg/currency/currency_in...uine_Notes.html

or

http://www.mas.gov.sg/currency/currency_in...feit_Notes.html

Look at it under a 50x microsope, it may be the platform for a RFID and an antena

To a collector, these little squares mean nothing.

To a collector, these little squares mean nothing.

I disagree! Minor changes in design and details are what many collectors are interested in. Signature varieties, different printing dates, additions of security mechanisms - all these are often components of significant research by collectors around the world. These often become the basis for the catalog numbering schemes and sub-types that are listed. Heck, some people even collect specific serial numbers on banknotes, when there are millions of different numbers printed! :ninja:

Dave

I disagree! Minor changes in design and details are what many collectors are interested in. Signature varieties, different printing dates, additions of security mechanisms - all these are often components of significant research by collectors around the world. These often become the basis for the catalog numbering schemes and sub-types that are listed. Heck, some people even collect specific serial numbers on banknotes, when there are millions of different numbers printed! :ninja:

Dave

Yes, I do agree that minor changes does get collectors excited and get even get them listed as varieties in catalog. As for these squares, it is up to individual to decide what they see in these squares. So far, I did studied them in relation to the serial numbers. I don't see it as significant. Hopefully, someone can come out with a better explanation on their research on these little squares. At the moment, the $ value on these notes ( those with squares ) are still the same as those without squares.

Dave

As a collector, the only things I would find interesting about RFIDs are that you can scan the note to get a bit of history on it. Also an RFID can tell you if the note real or if it has been washed or pressed, or irradiated, they all damage RFID. Besides that, if it does not change the design, I do not think it matters to me.

Yes, I do agree that minor changes does get collectors excited and get even get them listed as varieties in catalog. As for these squares, it is up to individual to decide what they see in these squares. So far, I did studied them in relation to the serial numbers. I don't see it as significant. Hopefully, someone can come out with a better explanation on their research on these little squares. At the moment, the $ value on these notes ( those with squares ) are still the same as those without squares.

A quck but destructive test, to see if they are RFID, is to toss them in the micowave. they should pop.

What's a RFID ? :ninja: Can you explain a bit more. ;)

RFID is Radio Frequency Identification. It is a small chip with an antenna that can contain information. When a scanner sweeps the chip the chip will responded providing various details depending on the tag.

RFID’s are used for tracking cattle, pets, prisoners, merchandise, government IDs like driver licenses and Passports; they are even used on credit cards (check out the “Armadillo Dollar” regarding that).

Recently RFID's have been put into the higher denomination Banknotes of various countries. Sometime around 2007 the Euro banknotes started to ship with RFID. It is said that the new US 100 dollar is chipped as well. There are a few other countries as well that are reported to use them, such as Sweden and Japan. I would not be surprised that Singapore would follow.

It is the future I guess, along with our ultravilot light detectors we will all have to get a RFID scanner soon.

IMPORTANT NOTE

Do Not just put any piece of money into a Microwave. Remember, many banknotes have metal foil in them (like the new US money). That metal will heat up and set the banknote on fire.

So be carefull.

Archived