CoinPeople.com

1755 Kopeck Eagle on Clouds

1russky

Hi, I have this Russian Empire 1755 1 Kopeck (Kopeyka) with Eagle on Clouds. It is listed in Conros (2010 - 12th edition) under 524/23b.

I was told by few people that it is extremely rare and may be worth thousands of dollars.

Interested in your opinion.

I will add pics in additional posts below

DSC_0137.jpg

1russky,

Just curious. Where did you get the coin and how much did you pay for it? The chance that you would have a coin with only 2-3 known is, well, you know the answer. Also, the chance that some unsuspecting seller would sell an extreme rarity for a pittance is, well you know the answer. Put the two together, and, well, you know the answer.

Does it happen, once in a while someone finds a significant rarity in a dealer's junk box, but the chances are very slim. Anyway, your coin seems to have many tiny bubbles on the cloud side, possibly indicating a casting, and the detail on the cloud side seems significantly worse than on the opposite side, which would possibly indicate a problem. But I am not an expert, and my opinion is just that.

Marv Finnley

1russky,

Just curious. Where did you get the coin and how much did you pay for it? The chance that you would have a coin with only 2-3 known is, well, you know the answer. Also, the chance that some unsuspecting seller would sell an extreme rarity for a pittance is, well you know the answer. Put the two together, and, well, you know the answer.

Does it happen, once in a while someone finds a significant rarity in a dealer's junk box, but the chances are very slim. Anyway, your coin seems to have many tiny bubbles on the cloud side, possibly indicating a casting, and the detail on the cloud side seems significantly worse than on the opposite side, which would possibly indicate a problem. But I am not an expert, and my opinion is just that.

Marv Finnley

Hi, I got the coin from the guy who said it was in his family for over 30 years.

I don't know if it is true or not.

I don't think he was aware of the true value of this particular coin or he is a good actor.

I recently sent this coin to NGC for evaluation. It will take about 3-4 weeks before it comes back to me.

Transaction was conducted via eBay with eBay Buyer Protection, so if it comes back as a fake, at least I will get my money back.

• 1 month later...
Hi, I got the coin from the guy who said it was in his family for over 30 years.

I don't know if it is true or not.

I don't think he was aware of the true value of this particular coin or he is a good actor.

I recently sent this coin to NGC for evaluation. It will take about 3-4 weeks before it comes back to me.

Transaction was conducted via eBay with eBay Buyer Protection, so if it comes back as a fake, at least I will get my money back.

It looks like an obvious fake to me as well. :ninja:

I hope you will get your money back.

• 1 month later...

The high points where the patina has worn off are too shiny. Patina should be darkest in the lowest portions of the field, and a more dull brown on an AE coin at the high contact points from cabinet wear. This looks shiny on the high parts. When you artificially tone brass this is one way it can come out.

I've had extensive experience 'antiquing' brass in the course of restoring antique telegraph equipment missing brass knurled screws and such. It never looks original like the rest of the instrument. This coins looks just like the fake antiquing I do at home.

Archived