CoinPeople.com

Duelling Expositions in 1915

981141.jpg

San Francisco and San Diego competed for the celebration of the Panama Canal and both held expositions. They undoubtedly cut into each others attendance. This small token commemorates both events.

My great great grandmother attended the 1915 Expo in SF, I have some of the medals she bought, I just wished she could have bought one of the Pan-Pac $50's but oh well. I have quite a bit of her furniture, cameras, photographs from that era that are simply amazing.

Is this a deliberate pun Bill? 'Cut' is a slang term in the U.K. for a Canal.

I can only wish I was that clever.

My great great grandmother attended the 1915 Expo in SF, I have some of the medals she bought, I just wished she could have bought one of the Pan-Pac $50's but oh well. I have quite a bit of her furniture, cameras, photographs from that era that are simply amazing.

How about the double set, now that would have been a nice inheritance.

How about the double set, now that would have been a nice inheritance.

I am rather happy though with the treasures I have from that era. Even photographs - original - of President McKinley when he visited SF in the summer of 1901.

• 1 year later...

I think the art and scale of the PPIE was far better than the one in San Diego. The PPIE also celebrated the rise of SFO from the 1906 earthquake and fire. I think some of the people who came to PPIE would have gone down to San Diego after since the San Diego expo went thru the end of 1916. Seems like San Diego has had at least two expos (1915-16 panama-california and the 1935-36 california-pacific expo) both of which seemed to be successes.

Archived