CoinPeople.com

Help i.d.

Cojaro

1848, Copper, larger than a quarter, smaller than a kennedy half

Spanish (isabel is readable on the front)

on the back, a cross design with 2 castles in opposing corners, and 2 lons in the remaining corners (each figure/building has its own corner)

anyone have any idea what this coin is? I picked it up for $0.25 :ninja:

Spain - 8 maravedis.  mintmark on the reverse, bottom, either J, JA, or an aqueduct.  The J & JA are from Jubia Mint, the aqueduct is from Segovia.  According to my old 1996 edition of Krause, in VG the value starts at $5.00.  Not a bad find for a quarter.

If the coin on question is larger than a quarter dollar but smaller than a half dollar, is it not more likelt to be four maravedis than eight maravedis?

Ian

Spain - 8 maravedis.  mintmark on the reverse, bottom, either J, JA, or an aqueduct.  The J & JA are from Jubia Mint, the aqueduct is from Segovia.  According to my old 1996 edition of Krause, in VG the value starts at $5.00.  Not a bad find for a quarter.

Hmm.

A decade old VG value of $5. Have any idea what it could be now? $7? $10?

8 maravedis coins are 28mm. 

quarter dollar = 24.3mm, half dollar = 30.6mm

Yep. You're right. :ninja:

Memory playing tricks on me again.It's been a while since I looked at the Isabel 8 maravedi coin. I always remebered them to be bigger than they actually are. Either that or I think of the half dollar as being smaller than it actually is. ;)

Ian

Hmm.

A decade old VG value of $5. Have any idea what it could be now? $7? $10?

Depends upon demand. If they are "hot" now, then the price could very well be in the $7-10 range you suggest. But, perhaps they were "hot" a decade ago when my reference book was written. Interest could've waned since then, and they could only be worth $2-3.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but at the same time, don't want to get your expectations too high, either.

Sometimes, I really think that Krause just uses arbitrary numbers for some of coins that see little volume of trading, especially those that are not really rare, just not common. A prime example would be the 1963 50 dinara from Yugoslavia. It catalogs at $15.00 in 2002, yet in the same catalog, the 1963 Mint set (contains the same 50 dinara) catalogs at only $8.00. I can get the sets through a few friendly dealers in Belgrade for about $3-4. Maybe I ought to get a few, break them up, and peddle the 50 dinara coins on eBay for a bargain price of L@@K!!! RARE!!!! only $10.00. (I can always sell the 20 dinara pieces to the guy that cuts coins to make jewellry - from other thread)

Krause overvalues (IMO) the 1925 Latvian 2 Lati in unc as well. I have picked them up for $5-8 from dealers before and the catalog value is around $30. Maybe the catalog value was set before the bags of Baltic states silver started emerging from former Soviet vaults.

Krause overvalues (IMO) the 1925 Latvian 2 Lati in unc as well.  I have picked them up for $5-8 from dealers before and the catalog value is around $30.  Maybe the catalog value was set before the bags of Baltic states silver started emerging from former Soviet vaults.

Baltic countries silver coins started being sold by Mezhnumismatika in Moscow back in the mid 1980's, you would think by now Krause would catch up.

I have to wonder how these were never melted by the Soviets?

Baltic countries silver coins started being sold by Mezhnumismatika in Moscow back in the mid 1980's, you would think by now Krause would catch up.

I have to wonder how these were never melted by the Soviets?

Hum, as much as one's sterotypical image of "Soviet" products, which are often imaged as not well maintained, therefore the chances of a product / machinery working are not too high. So that would mean by some random chance that their refinery screwed up and hence, their only option left was to sell such coins ;)

Ukra, where did you get such infomation that Mezhnumismatika sold such coins? :ninja:

Hum, as much as one's sterotypical image of "Soviet" products, which are often imaged as not well maintained, therefore the chances of a product / machinery working are not too high. So that would mean by some random chance that their refinery screwed up and hence, their only option left was to sell such coins ;)

Ukra, where did you get such infomation that Mezhnumismatika sold such coins?  :ninja:

Because I found out about Mezhnumismatika selling older Tsarist coins through their outlet in Moscow and wrote them. I got a printed catalog from them which included Baltic countries coins, mostly Latvian.

I don't think anyone screwed up on melting the coins, I just think it was curious that they were still around some 45 years or so after they were confiscated when the USSR invaded the Baltic countries.

In the mid to late 1980's and full steam ahead in the 1990's there was a lot of stuff being released into collecting circles in the ex USSR. At that time it was not yet legal to own collector coins there, but I know of a lot of people that in fact were.

Yep, the Lithuanian silver was my first acquisition after the release of Baltic stuff from Moscow. The Latvian silver has become my favorite nowadays. I particularly like the 5L crowns. I've had a few of the 2L which were beautifully toned from the bags.

• 8 years later...