CoinPeople.com

"Licinius I Gold Aureues Possibly 308-324 AD"

KoRnholio

Was browsing the 'bay and came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Licinius-Gold-Aureus-C...c#ht_2015wt_938

Not that I have much experience with gold ancients, but it looks like it could be authentic. However, the details just seem way too good to be true. The legend (especially on the reverse) also looks too crisp (no flow lines at all) for a hammered coin of this period. Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

The description says its been determined to be fake, but the seller doesn't know if that is actually true or not. Its fake, but you can't return it once you bought it.

The description says its been determined to be fake, but the seller doesn't know if that is actually true or not. Its fake, but you can't return it once you bought it.

From the lot description:

"You are bidding on a superb and substantial Roman gold aureus coin of Licinius, possibly 308-324 AD. We are unsure of the authenticity of this coin despite its high quality - this is because there is disagreement amongst top neumismatic experts as to whether the coin is of the period, or a later production; therefore we advise buyers to beware and examine the pictures carefully before committing to buy." (emphasis added).

Supposedly the "top neumismatic (sic) experts" are divided on the issue of authenticity.

I wonder who the "top neumismatic experts" are that maintain that the coin is genuine. It occurs to me that there might be a reason why their names are not provided.

True it's a variation of the "well I don't know if it's reaaallly a fake, so don't hold me liable, no returns!" gimmick. But given the amount of ancient stuff he sells, he should know the difference and not be intentionally selling fake items.

Archived