CoinPeople.com

Isaac Earlysman Sparrow

Issac Earlysman Sparrow was an Ironmonger who had his business at Bishopsgate London. He was a man with a fascination for balloons (the flying variety) and in 1823 he paid Charles Green, a famous ballonist of the time, the princely sum of 50 shillings sterling to accompany him on a flight. The flight was not uneventful, but did not result in any catastrophe. Mr Sparrow went on to issue a 22mm sized memento of his daring (as below). The obverse bears his capped bust while the reverse shows an ascending balloon. Not so obvious in my example is the banner `Sparrow' across the balloon or that the flags being waved bear the initials S on one and G on the other.

980947.jpg

980947.jpg

IMG_2931.jpgIMG_2933.jpg

My example is dated 1825, the date was added to an undated obverse( #2850, different to yours) and the reverse is missing the banner sparrow on the ballon etc. Mine is Bell#2860 Rare. I believe there are 5 varieties.

Declared Bankrupt: Sparrow Isaac Earlysman, Bishopsgate st. Without, ironmonger, July 7, 1826.

Petioning Creditor: Isaac Earlysman Sparrow. Smithfield, ironmongers, in 1829 in the bankruptcy of RAYNER Robert, of Crawford-street, in the parish of St Marylebone, in the county of Middlesex, ironmonger.

So he obviously was back in the ironmonger business before too long. Anticipating the question, what is Bishopsgate st. Without? It is the portion of the street(& Bishopgate) that was outside the walls of London(since demolished there) as opposed to Within for the intramural portion of Bishopgate.

IMG_2931.jpgIMG_2933.jpg

My example is dated 1825, the date was added to an undated obverse( #2850, different to yours) and the reverse is missing the banner sparrow on the ballon etc. Mine is Bell#2860 Rare. I believe there are 5 varieties.

Declared Bankrupt: Sparrow Isaac Earlysman, Bishopsgate st. Without, ironmonger, July 7, 1826.

Petioning Creditor: Isaac Earlysman Sparrow. Smithfield, ironmongers, in 1829 in the bankruptcy of RAYNER Robert, of Crawford-street, in the parish of St Marylebone, in the county of Middlesex, ironmonger.

So he obviously was back in the ironmonger business before too long. Anticipating the question, what is Bishopsgate st. Without? It is the portion of the street(& Bishopgate) that was outside the walls of London(since demolished there) as opposed to Within for the intramural portion of Bishopgate.

Very interesting. Mr Sparrow seems to have been quite a character.

I think (he said hesitantly....) the `st.' could be a legalese abbreviation referencing a parish or ward, in this case, the parish of Bishopsgate. Haven't a clue what word (probably latin) `st.' abbreviates though. The `Without' might refer to Mr Sparrow not currently being resident within the parish (?)

I think (he said hesitantly....) the `st.' could be a legalese abbreviation referencing a parish or ward, in this case, the parish of Bishopsgate. Haven't a clue what word (probably latin) `st.' abbreviates though. The `Without' might refer to Mr Sparrow not currently being resident within the parish (?)

st. is just for street, small 's' to distinguish it from St. for Saint. 'Without' means outside(the wall), as opposed to 'Within' inside the wall. See link for map.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/image.asp...f&pubid=332

• 10 years later...
  • 1 month later...

When the obverse and reverse are `upside down' to each other it is referred to as `coin rotation'. Most coins in the world (I believe) are usually `coin rotation'.

When the obverse and the reverse are the same way round then it is usually referred to as being `medal rotation'.

I can't remember if my example of this piece is coin or medal rotation. I'd have to dig it out to advise, but i suspect it would be `coin rotation' and as such there would be nothing unusual about your one.  Indeed unless the obverse and the reverse were at very unusual rotations to each other there would be little significant difference in value to a collector.

Hope that helps.