CoinPeople.com

Rare-Straits-Settlements on eBay

MMMM

I saw this Straits Settlements 1 Dollar note that looked real nice. (serial number K/60 15764). The listing on eBay says it is Uncirculated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Straits-Settlemen...=item2c54418aaf

But these two auction places indicate that it is circulated, and call it “almost uncirculated” banknote. One reports there is a fold in the middle of the note.

http://www.mavininternational.com/auction1003/CAT0601.HTM

http://www.spink.com/auctions/pdf/9019.pdf

Would you consider this circulated or uncirculated?

I find it fascinating that there are people out there that will bid on this item with the small image from a flatbed scanner, and not having researched the note via our friend Google and searching Straits Settlements and the SN # which will pull up the previous sales of said note - with the description. This happens all the time on fleaBay where people are selling stuff that was previously sold on Heritage and has subsequently been cleaned, over-described etc.

At any rate it is a lovely note, and I would loathe to think that someone may have flattened it to "enhance" the grade. Frankly when you collect older notes, some notes are practically impossible to find in true uncirculated grades - I collect Scottish banknotes, and older ones were folded in half when they were sent to the banks - so if you have what purports to be an uncirculated note from the 1920's etc, chances are that it has been pressed sometime recently since practically all notes from that time were at least bent in half if not hard folded. As a collector I want it original, not pressed. I can live with a bend or fold, but pressing and flattening out all intaglio printing effectively destroy banknotes from a collecting perspective.

I find it fascinating that there are people out there that will bid on this item with the small image from a flatbed scanner, and not having researched the note via our friend Google and searching Straits Settlements and the SN # which will pull up the previous sales of said note - with the description. This happens all the time on fleaBay where people are selling stuff that was previously sold on Heritage and has subsequently been cleaned, over-described etc.

At any rate it is a lovely note, and I would loathe to think that someone may have flattened it to "enhance" the grade. Frankly when you collect older notes, some notes are practically impossible to find in true uncirculated grades - I collect Scottish banknotes, and older ones were folded in half when they were sent to the banks - so if you have what purports to be an uncirculated note from the 1920's etc, chances are that it has been pressed sometime recently since practically all notes from that time were at least bent in half if not hard folded. As a collector I want it original, not pressed. I can live with a bend or fold, but pressing and flattening out all intaglio printing effectively destroy banknotes from a collecting perspective.

I reported it to the Seller and they responded

"Hi, it appear in other auction monetarium that this is a choice uncirculated note. Maybe you can check to comfirm as well. I think its

better not for you to bid to avoid problem, thanks

-straitslord_2000"

and blocked me from viewing the auction. Not good at all. I feel sorry for people who bid on it.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the tips on searching. I'm still fairly new to collecting, though I've amassed about 2100 unique notes for my collection so far. Thankfully, I've been focusing on more recent notes to complete the easy runs for now, and then gradually work backwards.

At what price point do you recommend one starts to do additional research on note history? I've seen a lot of notes that are listed as UNC coming from Asian sellers on eBay that I have a hard time believing. I got sort-of bit by this once, and bought an older Iran note that showed as UNC in the scan, but once I got it, was clearly pressed and trimmed. Thankfully I got it for under $30.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Really sad to say that very many Singapore Dealers :ninja: ARE not honest..........they will snook anybody and everybody even fellow Singaporean collectors ;) ! I no longer trust or buy from any of these.......

totally agree with you. ;)

Archived