CoinPeople.com

What is this new CAC crap?

Burks

So I'm getting back into collecting again only to find people touting this "CAC" stuff. Like PCGS MS64 CAC CERTIFIED. So.......another sticker is raising the price higher than a different sticker?

Is this like the more stickers on a car, the faster it goes type deal? More stickers = more money?

I don't understand it. Seems very widely accepted.

You missed the memo on the new 700 range sheldon? :ninja:

All you need to find is a cac gold bean, in a pcgs secure plus. Or maybe a cac gold bean in a ngc star. Then you would be talking big bucks. ;)

Thing I find funny is a green bean cac is what they consider in the "high" portion for the grade. In other words. Its graded right according to them. They use an "A" "B" "C" system. So I may be wrong here but you might call it ms 65.6 to ms 65.9 for a "A" green bean. Or ms 65.3 to ms 65.5 for an "B" green bean. And no sticker would be a ms 65 to ms 65.2. So even with a green bean you might only be getting an "average" aka 65.3 coin. But they still seem to go for a premium. (The gold bean they consider under graded, as in instead of a ms 65 should be a ms 66 or more.)

Really they are missing a opportunity. Have a brown sticker for those pesky .0 to .2's. Then for low ball sets you could say you had a P01 brown bean. The lowest of the low.

I think I am going to start a TPG, CCGS, Crappy Coin Grading Service - and have little dog turd stickers to put on coins that have been dipped, but are in the top three TPG company's slabs, coins that are overgraded, spotty etc.

You missed the memo on the new 700 range sheldon? :ninja:

All you need to find is a cac gold bean, in a pcgs secure plus. Or maybe a cac gold bean in a ngc star. Then you would be talking big bucks. ;)

Thing I find funny is a green bean cac is what they consider in the "high" portion for the grade. In other words. Its graded right according to them. They use an "A" "B" "C" system. So I may be wrong here but you might call it ms 65.6 to ms 65.9 for a "A" green bean. Or ms 65.3 to ms 65.5 for an "B" green bean. And no sticker would be a ms 65 to ms 65.2. So even with a green bean you might only be getting an "average" aka 65.3 coin. But they still seem to go for a premium. (The gold bean they consider under graded, as in instead of a ms 65 should be a ms 66 or more.)

Really they are missing a opportunity. Have a brown sticker for those pesky .0 to .2's. Then for low ball sets you could say you had a P01 brown bean. The lowest of the low.

That makes sense. Dumb, but whatever. If people are willing to pay just so someone can say it's a "higher end" 65.....instead of using your eyes.....

Takes all the fun out of collecting!

The sticker is in fact a very useful device. If you don't know enough to evaluate the coin as opposed to the slab, the sticker lets you know that its really a good slab. Of course, someone is bound to say you should buy the coin and not the sticker on the slab. But what would they know about collecting plastic slabs and paper tabs?

I suppose there is some merit in having a 3rd party's 2nd opinion on a 3rd party graded coin... If you really don't know how to evaluate the coin for yourself.

This is true, but with as many coins popping up that are now CAC.....it makes cherry picking REALLY hard! It was always fun to find an undergraded coin, buying it for MS63 price, knowing it would resubmit as a 64-65.

Oh well. Slowly the fun is being killed out of the hobby. Heck, can't even find any nice raws any more!

When you buy one of these coins you have to pay the mark up price for the slab and the extra mark up for the sticker.

I would find the extra grade on the coin useful if I were going to by a coin worth hundreds of dollars. For that kind of money I would feel more comfortable getting a second opinion on it.

Since I am not buying anything like that in the near future I say :ninja: to the stickers

• 2 weeks later...
I think I am going to start a TPG, CCGS, Crappy Coin Grading Service - and have little dog turd stickers to put on coins that have been dipped, but are in the top three TPG company's slabs, coins that are overgraded, spotty etc.

I like this idea. We could call it the CACA sticker. :ninja:

Archived