CoinPeople.com

charles the 1s shilling forgery or not

chris

hi everyone

il be honest im quite paranoid about recieving fake coins and am top with early milled coins but not hammered

i have a charles 1st shilling. now i know theres a bug load of variations for these coins but i am concerned slightly on the one i have

this coin only being 4.5 grams in weight ive found everything else to be ok though but would apreciate any input from yourselves

thanks

chris

_BrTuN4g_2k___KGrHqYOKioEu_g2RlL2BLzIu4LPSw___35.jpg

_BrTuZkQBGk___KGrHqQOKjoEu_h_DsM0BLzIvbfgc____35.jpg

Regardless of its legitimacy, I really like this piece. :ninja:

Seriously though everything looks fine at first glance, but one thing does bother me. The center obverse looks unusual which brings me to ask for a image of the rim. This type of mushy image can sometimes mean it is cast. I am not saying it is, because this can also be caused by salt water damage, corrosion, and a host of other things...

This is part of the reason it is so difficult to tell from an image alone. :\

It looks genuine enough to me. The obverse seems a bit porous but this is probable a result of it being in the ground for much of its life id guess.

Some of the more experienced members of the forum should be able to give you a more definate answer though.

Regardless of its legitimacy, I really like this piece. :ninja:

Seriously though everything looks fine at first glance, but one thing does bother me. The center obverse looks unusual which brings me to ask for a image of the rim. This type of mushy image can sometimes mean it is cast. I am not saying it is, because this can also be caused by salt water damage, corrosion, and a host of other things...

This is part of the reason it is so difficult to tell from an image alone. :\

and some more i have gone all around the coin now

The edge looks weird here. Is there any sort of line/seam running around the edge?

ive got back onto the seller, he has a very high feeback rating for all types of coins and he quickly came back. he was also unsure about it and happily gave me a refund on the item

thanks vfox for the help

I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. It's much better to be safe than sorry. It's nice to see that a seller is willing to refund if the item is questionable, it says a lot about their ethics.

Archived