Collecting Animals Banknotes

see323

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice looking banknotes and interesting thread generally. This might be good place to ask: Is there any banknotes that have picture of koala in them?

I just have one koala-loving friend who surely would love to have one :) but surprisingly didn't find any. Lots of coins though.

As you said koalas are on “lots of coins.” I do not recall ever seeing a banknote with a Koala on it or even as the watermark. But there may be one out there with a koala hiding in the background, I just do not remember seeing one. I will keep an eye open.

I would have assumed that Australian money have full of koalas and kangaroos... But I think that if you haven't seen any koala banknotes, I can stop looking :) Thanks!

Koala's have only made rare appearances on "official" circulating coins. The was a one-off 50 cent piece a few years back that featured a koala along with a wombat and the was the NCLT $200 bullion coin from the 1980's. I can't think of banknote featuring a koala though. The koala might feature more frequently on the collector's crap that the Perth Mint churn out!

The kangaroo is far more common though. As the kangaroo (along with the emu) feature on Australia's coat of arms, any banknote that features the the coat of arms features a roo! Currently in terms of coins the kangaroo curently features in the default designs for the 50c & $1 coins. In pre-decimal days the roo famously featured on the half penny, penny, and as part of the coat of arms on the sixpence & florin

Did everyone see the announcement for the new Cayman Islands notes. I talked to a person at the "Cayman Islands Monetary Authority" and they said they had limited matching serial sets. But they believe they are all gone.

http://www.cimoney.com.ky/about_cima/about_feed.aspx?id=3726

I would like to get the '57 searies, but it is so hard not find real ones. Most I have seen have been counterfeit. Some day I will get them.

I never saw fake 57 series here in Indonesia although people said that there is fake for the unissued 5000 rupiah since it is the most expensive one. The fake 5000 has smaller dimension from the real one. What makes you think the item you saw was a fake?

I never saw fake 57 series here in Indonesia although people said that there is fake for the unissued 5000 rupiah since it is the most expensive one. The fake 5000 has smaller dimension from the real one. What makes you think the item you saw was a fake?

If all I have to go on is a scan, I base it mostly on the Serial Number.

Could you elaborate, which serial number you think is a fake?

Besides making sure they follow the pattern.

'5' followed by 1, 2, or 3 letters, then 5 numbers

'10' followed by 3 letters, then 5 numbers

'25' followed by 3 letters, then 5 numbers

'50' then 1 or 2, letters then 5 numbers

'100' then 1, 2, or 3 letters then 4 numbers

'500' then 1 or 2 letters then 4 numbers

'1000' then 1 or 2 letters, then 4 numbers

'2500' then 1 letter or 2 letters, then 4 numbers;

or '2500' then 2 letters over 'I' plus 5 numbers

I was warned to stay away from the specimans and anything with an X as the first letter. X i guess is a replacement note. Also to watch out for these because they could be fakes:

5ABV

50AS

500Z

1000Z

2500Z

I have seen a lot of 5ABV's in fact I have one.

• 2 weeks later...

A must have note! I've been searching for a long while for a particular Swedish note and finally found it - bought it - and am anxiously waiting for it.... it's not here yet though... :( maybe tomorrow. But back to your note above - Actually I'm surprised you hadn't had this one already! Congrats!

A must have note! I've been searching for a long while for a particular Swedish note and finally found it - bought it - and am anxiously waiting for it.... it's not here yet though... :( maybe tomorrow. But back to your note above - Actually I'm surprised you hadn't had this one already! Congrats!

I have this and the Sweden 100 Kronor with the Bee. However, it will not scan because of security features.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...