CoinPeople.com

The Almost Disappointing Cent Box Search

Saor Alba

I search cent boxes(2500 rolled cents each) about once or twice a week on average. In the past I have been averaging approximately 10 wheats per box, usually 1940’s and 1950’s. My last three boxes have been somewhat disappointing – the amount of pre-1982 bronze coins seems to be going down to about a quarter of the box and my averages for numbers of wheats have gone down too. After searching two boxes on Tuesday of this week, I was on the verge of giving up. I cashed in the zincolns at one of my banks that has a free coin counter and got my cash. Yesterday I had to go to one of the grocery stores to buy milk, it has one of the in-store banks and on a lark I asked if they had a cent box I could buy. The teller, who was new apparently and didn’t know me – said no, we don’t have any. Just then a teller behind her that knows me well, said yes, he can buy one box. At this point I wondered why I bothered, not having much success with the previous two boxes, but I figured different bank maybe different results.

Well the pre-1982 bronze was consistent with my recent results, rather disappointing. Wheats were a disappointment too:

1950 – harshly cleaned

1951-D

That was it, four stinkin Lincolns.

San Francisco mints were a bit better than average, considering that I am deep in the Midwest and they are all nearing 40 years old now:

1969 x 3

1970 x 2

1972 x 2

I also had fewer Canadian earlies too 

GVI

QEII YH

1964 x 4

But my best find, the one that made it all worth it was this one, about midway through the box when I let out a scream my kids outside heard and came in wondering what happened…

injunintheroll.jpg

My earliest find in a cent box yet… I found a 1909 VDB and a beaten up 1909 back in 2007, my earliest finds so far until yesterday…

1901indian.jpg

I have probably searched 350,000 cents over the past four years – this is the first one of these I have ever gotten:

Yes, 109 years young and Mr. Longacre’s daughter!

Wow! It's finds like that that draw me to collecting! You've got some great coins in your collection so your enthusiasm for this one is even more amazing. Congrats! Now I'm tempted to go get a box!

Wow! It's finds like that that draw me to collecting! You've got some great coins in your collection so your enthusiasm for this one is even more amazing. Congrats! Now I'm tempted to go get a box!

You touched on something - yes it is more exciting to find a $1.50 Indian cent in a roll after searching hundreds of thousands of cents than to go and plop down serious dosh for some coin. This is more like hitting the lottery. I still cannot believe it, I know I have heard of people finding Indians, usually beaten up beyond belief, but never thought I would. When I think about it, I remember my grandmother saying when she grew up back in the 1920's that Indians were hard to find even then, and I find one nearly 90 years later. Have to wonder what happened that it ended up going into a coin sorting machine, probably a coinstar or something, was it an accident or did someone raid someone else's coin collection or what?

Some guys have all the luck!

I get wheats all the time from an Asian deli here in New York but I agree that finding an IHC would be a scream-worthy event. :ninja:

You touched on something - yes it is more exciting to find a $1.50 Indian cent in a roll after searching hundreds of thousands of cents than to go and plop down serious dosh for some coin. This is more like hitting the lottery. I still cannot believe it, I know I have heard of people finding Indians, usually beaten up beyond belief, but never thought I would. When I think about it, I remember my grandmother saying when she grew up back in the 1920's that Indians were hard to find even then, and I find one nearly 90 years later. Have to wonder what happened that it ended up going into a coin sorting machine, probably a coinstar or something, was it an accident or did someone raid someone else's coin collection or what?

Great story! :ninja:

When I used to hang out on the Usenet rec.collecting.coins group, there was a regular called "Larry Luks" (or "Louks"??) who used to get a kick out of slipping people worn-out Franklin halves, Buffalo nickels, IHCs and $2 bills in payment for this and that, just to see what their reaction would be. He's supposedly in San Antonio, TX, but could be that one of his coins made it all the way into a CoinStar machine where you live and from there into the teller's box!

(Larry, I hope you're OK and are reading this!)