CoinPeople.com

Humane Society medal

I just got this medal on ebay. It is gold clad copper with engraved lettering which reads; "JOE GOLDMAN, INC / JEWELERS / GOLD MEDAL AWARD / TO / "PEGGY" / IN RECOGNITION OF / SERVICE TO MANKIND / PRESENTED BY / WISCONSIN HUMANE SOCIETY / MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN " The Humane Society doesn't know any thing about it or any other medals they may have issued. Being named only to a first name I think this may have been an award to an animal possibly a dog. Any humane collectors out there?

Interesting medal. Maybe time for some newspaper archive searching.

Newspapers are great if you have a time frame or date. The medal looks early but the Goldman firm was in business for over 50 years. My next stop will be the County Historical society which I hope will be open again after major renovation since they used the building in the Public Enemies film.

Joe Goldman Inc Milwauke jewellers Went out of business in 1961 started over 50 years before.

So it should date between circa 1911 to the end of 1961. Good luck with your research, perhaps issued to a long serving police/millitary dog or horse or one killed in the line of duty, or for a dog waking & saving a family from a night fire etc.

Joe Goldman Inc Milwauke jewellers Went out of business in 1961 started over 50 years before.

So it should date between circa 1911 to the end of 1961. Good luck with your research, perhaps issued to a long serving police/millitary dog or horse or one killed in the line of duty, or for a dog waking & saving a family from a night fire etc.

Thanks I also suspect it was a seeing eye or family dog. Will find out on my next Milw trip. The historical Society library is now open too so the answer will be found.

Archived