CoinPeople.com

whats in ur pocket?

clifford1987

Just wonder if anyone always puts one particular coin in his pocket as the "lucky coin" or some kind of juju? (I don't know how native English speakers call it...)

To me, it's a 2008 proof silver eagle which replaced 1904 Kiang Nan Province 7 Mace and 2 Candareens. Because that coin has a large dragon on its reverse, and the Bible said "The great dragon was hurled down- that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray." I don't wonna have anything about Satan in my pocket. :ninja:

One day I found the eagle's capsule was full of dust. I opened the capsule and left a few scratches after trying to clean the coin. So this eagle ended up in my pocket to be the "lucky coin".

Good topic, Cliff!

I have never had a coin like this though I did try to carry around an old, bent large cent for a while. A dealer gave it to me. Nothing special about it other than it was a 150+ year old piece of copper in my pocket.

I don't carry one any more but for several years I did carry a seriously worn (we're talking Poor-, near blank disc) Charles II half guinea. It was retired a few years ago and now resides in a bag of junk early milled silver, safely under lock and key.

When I wear jeans, I carry these coins in the "watch pocket":

1923 Peace dollar, holed

1900 O Morgan, worn down

1821 Louis XVIII 5 franc piece, holed and very worn

1838 Louis-Philippe 5 franc piece, holed and worn

Somehow the weight of the silver is reassuring. Don't know if that counts as lucky...

In the past I've carried anything from an 1804 half cent to a counterfeit draped bust dollar. Right now I have 4 Byzantine phollis in my pocket that I am retoning after a rather nasty chemical peel, haha. Normally though I just carry around an old coin with a neat design; it's fun to show people random old junk like that. :ninja:

I have a few scattered around my desk as my lucky charms of sorts.

A 1964 USA 5 cents I found in circulation not long ago.

1989 1oz Silver maple leaf (toned black/gold)

1985 1oz Silver Engelhard Prospector round (some yellow/orange toning around the rim)

1918 Canada silver 50 cents

1969 .999 fine silver medal (or token?) depicting the 50th anniversary of the Grand Canyon

I never carry change anymore. Currency is next to just not be necessary. I seldom ever use money anymore. Way to many benifits with plastic. Many companies give you a monitary reward for using thier cards so out with cash. Sorry but that is the way of the future.

Slanderous lies! :ninja:

I have a 1951 silver Mexican 5-peso that has a ring soldered on it, so I have it as a key chain in my pocket, and it's been getting pretty shiny over the last year and a half or so.

That just made me think: have any of you converted a coin into a keychain on purpose? Just by drilling a hole or something through the top, and attaching a chain, and attacking it to keys?

I think I may have just found a use for the Chinese fakes that can be purchased on ebay for $1 :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

I FOUND MY POCKET PIECES!

Was going through all my coins, starting to get them lined up for photographs and I pulled a bag of silver out (my girlfriend just took stuff and threw it in bags if it was "shiny").

2006 SAE and 1921 S Morgan. WOOHOO! Sadly the SAE has a slight rim bump :ninja: Maybe I can wear it down so it isn't very noticeable.

I've been trying to decide on a pocket piece, actually. It'll probably be a Brit pre-decimal, though I can't rule a Polish piece out. Maybe one of each.

When golfing, I use a Scottish shilling to mark my ball on the green -- that seemed both obvious and appropriate. :ninja:

Archived