CoinPeople.com

1£ Silver coins

MauMauNotes

Hi :ninja:

i am lately buying some 1£(normal) and 2£ (bimetal) in an Unc-Bu-Proof quality

then my attention fell on those 1£ Full Silver Replicas (sold in box and with certificate)

are they worth the money spent ? (from 40 to 50$ ?)

pound1987eng.jpg

how much is the silver used in 1 coin worth ?

thank you

M. ;)

omg only, what a rip off

What's the difference between this and most countries regular UNC and Proof sets where the retail value far exceeds metal value of the coins within? These silver pounds are simply not really struck for bullion investment reasons, generally they are marketed as special mementos to remind people of special years in their lives, birthday years, weddings etc.

If bullion value is what you've after then go after pre-65 USA junk silver.

What's the difference between this and most countries regular UNC and Proof sets where the retail value far exceeds metal value of the coins within? These silver pounds are simply not really struck for bullion investment reasons, generally they are marketed as special mementos to remind people of special years in their lives, birthday years, weddings etc.

If bullion value is what you've after then go after pre-65 USA junk silver.

Exactly.

MauMaunotes, remember that "Intrinsic value" just means the value of the metal itself. Like if you used a blowtorch to melt it into a blob.

well basically if i pay 9£ a 1 or 2£ (Proof) (x6-7-9 value over the face value) it's still an acceptable expense (even if overpaid)

i can understand who has money, or who wants to celebrate some special events-years, but at least from my view, it's out of my business to collect 10-12 1 Silver-Proof Pounds paying 40-50-60 £ a piece, and their only value in silver is 1/10th,

didnt mean as an investment, but at least that if within 20 years i must sell them, they dont give me back only the Silver Value + the box and certificate

i tought that such a price was explained by the silver content, but it's not, like you say, then its no-no

i was very tempted ( i really like the 1 Pound style )

ofc. if i was Lady Diana's sons i wouldnt mind collecting them.

:ninja:

A piece of advice for you Maumaunotes, and this is meant in all sincerity, I'd strongly advise you not to collect with future profits in mind (unless you are a coin dealer and you kind of have to). The only reason I say this is because whilst there are coins you can make a profit on and can turn a good investment there are ten times more that will reap you a loss when you sell them even ten years down the line [inflation considered]. Most collectors who collect to make a buck of the hobby get disappointed real quick. Coins are like fashion what is hot now might be stone cold in twenty years time or have depreciated, what no-one gives two hoots about now might be the big thing in 2030! Unless you've got a time machine any safe buys will mostly be hedged bets with no certainties.

I can tell you now, having sold the vast majority of my collection off in the past, I sold them for considerably less than i'd paid for them!

A piece of advice for you Maumaunotes, and this is meant in all sincerity, I'd strongly advise you not to collect with future profits in mind (unless you are a coin dealer and you kind of have to). The only reason I say this is because whilst there are coins you can make a profit on and can turn a good investment there are ten times more that will reap you a loss when you sell them even ten years down the line [inflation considered]. Most collectors who collect to make a buck of the hobby get disappointed real quick. Coins are like fashion what is hot now might be stone cold in twenty years time or have depreciated, what no-one gives two hoots about now might be the big thing in 2030! Unless you've got a time machine any safe buys will mostly be hedged bets with no certainties.

I can tell you now, having sold the vast majority of my collection off in the past, I sold them for considerably less than i'd paid for them!

no, wait, i probably have problems to let myself be understood

i have no intent or will to make any profit out of my collection

i do NOT intend to do any investments (earnings?) with this hobby

while i can accept to spend 7-9£ on a cheap 1£ Proof Uk (non silver)

(if i take a bus 2 times in a day i already paid that)

but IF i have to spend 50-60£ on something that is supposed to have a metal-certain value (for example like gold coins, or also by age) and tomorrow they tell me, i pay you only the silver in it, i don't wanna get fooled, by the Seller first, and by the Buyer later (Royal Mint? and future buyer)

-in facts those coins have no history, and a part a normal proof(non silver) they have just 4-5-6 dollars of silver in it

= the Mint made a bubble-business to grab money today and let your hands get empty tomorrow = (while if they sell me 50 dollars in Gold, i do understand and accept a 60-70 dollars for the 'product' (as metal = main factor to buy this coin and to buy at such a price)

im not talking about earning, i am talking about not buying wonderful stuff today becoming wc paper tomorrow :ninja:

while i can stand-accept this on 2-3-4-5 dollars coins, i cannot accept it on 50-70 dollar coins

¨ the Sale factor is not that i want to sell in 14 years for an earning, but if by any chances i have financial troubles, i would like to have something of my money back

(can i expect some money back from a certain value coin that i bought today ? of course i expect nothing interesting from a 3dollars coins)

Generally, any coin bought with a fancy case or packaging will be a poor numismatic investment. Most of the cost of items like that come from the pretty packaging, and when it comes time to sell, no one really wants to buy some 20 year old mint product, even at a discount off the retail price you paid initially. I see this all the time with people who bought packaged Canadian coins from the mint or *shudder* the shopping channel.

• 1 month later...

I see this all the time with people who bought packaged Canadian coins from the mint or *shudder* the shopping channel.

;

I would like to call your attention to the Canadian $3.00 coin issued as a 'special' limited edition.silver coin.

The 2006 square $3.00 - a 92.5 silver coin with a 24 kt gold plate .

It was issued for $49.95 with 20,000 minted.

If you can find a 'square beaver' $3.00 coin & get it for $150.00 your one of the lucky ones, I've seen it for 225.00 in dealers shops as well as at auction for more.

THere are many other examples I just wanted to bring up a recent date !

Sure some will appreciate in value, but they are few and far between. For modern Canadian mint products like that, I'd guess maybe 5-10% appreciate significantly, 10-15% keep pace with inflation, and the rest all gradually fall below their issue prices. Most will end up being sold for a fraction of what they were initially bought for 20-25 years down the road.

Archived