CoinPeople.com

Which Note is the Most Expensive One You Bought?

nutmegcollector

Mine is Saint Vincent P-S115s $5 1.2.1917 UNC. The note is not the most valuable one in my collection, but certainly the highest price I actually paid. I bought it at a recent auction.

Care to guess how much I paid?

Do you care to share with us the highest price you paid for a note? Scans of the note?

stvincent2fx-1.jpg

stvincent2bx-1.jpg

Mine is Saint Vincent P-S115s $5 1.2.1917 UNC. The note is not the most valuable one in my collection, but certainly the highest price I actually paid. I bought it at a recent auction.

Care to guess how much I paid?

Do you care to share with us the highest price you paid for a note? Scans of the note?

stvincent2fx-1.jpg

stvincent2bx-1.jpg

A very nice note, that is way out of my league. I would guess about $3,540?

I am not sure, I haven't spent as much on paper money as coins, but I have numerous examples that go four figures. Beyond that, no specifics since I really don't care about the prices. I only know approximately how much I paid for one particular foreign note that is the most for a foreign note, but I bought it to give to someone as a gift.

hmmm...you didn't cheat by any chance? :ninja:

Which one is yours?

I saw one similar to yours for sale at Bowers and Merena. Nice pictures on that site. I remember seeing it because of the Unicorn and Lion and I was thinking maybe I'll get one someday. That isn’t going to happen for that price. My wife (the accountant) thinks spending 100 on a banknote is too much ("that’s food for a week for a family of 6"). The most I ever spent for a note was $100 for an uncirculated French West Africa 25 Francs from 22-4-1942, the one with the Lion on the back (need to post the picture). I probably paid too much. Boy you’re lucky you did not hear the words or feel the steely stare of that one. But it was worth it. A really nice note.

I saw one similar to yours for sale at Bowers and Merena. Nice pictures on that site. I remember seeing it because of the Unicorn and Lion and I was thinking maybe I'll get one someday. That isn’t going to happen for that price. My wife (the accountant) thinks spending 100 on a banknote is too much ("that’s food for a week for a family of 6"). The most I ever spent for a note was $100 for an uncirculated French West Africa 25 Francs from 22-4-1942, the one with the Lion on the back (need to post the picture). I probably paid too much. Boy you’re lucky you did not hear the words or feel the steely stare of that one. But it was worth it. A really nice note.

Yours truly bought the one you saw at Bowers and Merena. :ninja:

Do post your French West Africa note. Love to see it.

Technically, I didn't "pay" for this one because I bought a very large lot and sold these at a price that allowed me to make a profit, but I consider it my most "valuable":

russia_1912_500_ruble_front_konshin.jpg

russia_1912_500_ruble_back_konshin.jpg

1912 500 Ruble with a Konshin signature, nice and crisp. Yeah, has some folds, but these for some reason are not commonly seen for sale for a reasonable price. Probably worth anywhere between $20 and $40 (the one with a Shipov signature is like $3 and is as common as dirt).

Yours truly bought the one you saw at Bowers and Merena. :ninja:

Do post your French West Africa note. Love to see it.

Congratulations, wonderful banknote. Since The Banknote Bank did their upgrade, whenever I try to post a jpg it crops the top and bottom. I will have to play with image setting, as soon as I can I will post it. Did you win any other notes?

Got this when I bought a medium sized collection a couple years back. Worth $150 or so in VF. I'm no expert grader, but it's much better than those advertised on Ebay as VF, so I think it probably actually grades VF !

$10 Canadian Bank of Commerce, 1935.

1935%2010%20dollar%20Bank%20of%20Commerce%20obv.jpg

1935%2010%20dollar%20Bank%20of%20Commerce%20rev.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Up until I bought the St. Vincent note, the highest price paid was for a Zanzibar 1 Rupee 1920. I bought it from a private collector who had 3 of them for sale, 2 XF in consecutive serial numbers and one VF radar note, all for the same price. I bought one of the XF notes (the one shown on the top) and a dealer bought the other two. The dealer resold them shortly afterward for a nice profit.

zanx.jpg

zan1x.jpg

zan2x.jpg

Up until I bought the St. Vincent note, the highest price paid was for a Zanzibar 1 Rupee 1920. I bought it from a private collector who had 3 of them for sale, 2 XF in consecutive serial numbers and one VF radar note, all for the same price. I bought one of the XF notes (the one shown on the top) and a dealer bought the other two. The dealer resold them shortly afterward for a nice profit.

zanx.jpg

zan1x.jpg

zan2x.jpg

These are really hard to get. I have been looking for any notes of Zanzibar, but so far been unsuccessful. This is the one Rupee series where that I do not have even a single note.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived