CoinPeople.com

Pattern Euros & ECU's of non-B.C. countries.

Guest Aidan Work

Guest Aidan Work

Here's a section that will interest collectors of Euro coinage.It is about the pattern Euro & ECU coins from non-British Commonwealth countries.These are listed in Krause's Unusual World Coins.

Aidan.

Yep. I should have written do you know the denominations listed in Krause? I've seen a 1994 copper-nickel 5 ecu with Alexander on his horse, a 1993 silver 20 ecu with the Alexander portrait on ancient Lysimachos coins, and a 1994 20 ecu of the same design tha appears to be copper-nickel. I wonder how Krause lists these, if it does, and if others are listed?

Also, do you know if Krause indicates if these are private-mint or public-mint issues? I read that some ecus from some countries were one or the other, but don't actually know much about it. Thanks.

Yep. I should have written do you know the denominations listed in Krause? I've seen a 1994 copper-nickel 5 ecu with Alexander on his horse, a 1993 silver 20 ecu with the Alexander portrait on ancient Lysimachos coins, and a 1994 20 ecu of the same design tha appears to be copper-nickel. I wonder how Krause lists these, if it does, and if others are listed?

Also, do you know if Krause indicates if these are private-mint or public-mint issues? I read that some ecus from some countries were one or the other, but don't actually know much about it. Thanks.

1994 cu-ni 5 ecu 38mm

-It lists the issuer as Chelsea Coins, London. Unc value....$20.

-obv: ancient galley above Greek flag

-rev: Alex Great on horseback

1993 ag 20 ecu 38mm proof

-Chelsea Coins, London. Mintage 300; value $60.

-(also 3000 issued as cu-ni in unc same date)

-obv: ancient galley above Greek flag

-rev: Head of Alex Great

There are some other ecu coins shown for Greece.

btw: sorry that I was not successful in that endeavor that you asked of me a while back.

Archived