CoinPeople.com

Zambian coins

luke_idk

Zambia inflation drove to a "notes" monetary system. During last years Zambia minted just commemorative coins. The strange fact, I noticed, is that Queen Elizabeth II is portraited on these coins. Since she's not head of Goverment, nor head of State, nor a sort of Paramount in chief (like in the Fiji Islands) what's the reason of this choice? Just as head of Commonwealth? Are there any other reasons? Does anybody know? :ninja:

• 13 years later...
On 4/9/2010 at 9:37 PM, luke_idk said:

Zambia inflation drove to a "notes" monetary system. During last years Zambia minted just commemorative coins. The strange fact, I noticed, is that Queen Elizabeth II is portraited on these coins. Since she's not head of Goverment, nor head of State, nor a sort of Paramount in chief (like in the Fiji Islands) what's the reason of this choice? Just as head of Commonwealth? Are there any other reasons? Does anybody know? :ninja:

Those coins were minted by third party mints such as one in Germany I believe (with authorization from the Zambian govt I presume). I've been to Zambia and you cannot get those coins anywhere in Zambia. The same is the case with Zambia stamps of the late 1990's and early 2000's.....available nowhere in Zambia but plenty in the philatelic markets WW.