CoinPeople.com

polupoltina 1798, poltina 1839, 20 kop-40 groszy 1842

russia_coins

I have those coins in my collection. However I'm not sure about their authenticity. I hope you'll help me by posting your opinions. ;)

The 1839 poltina was bought from China and has a strange edge with illeagible markings (the seller garantees the authenticity). The polupoltinnik of 1798 feels too light for its size (I don't have a scale, should be 5 grams). The 20 kopek - 40 groszy coin was won on eBay with a very low bid.

So what do you say ? :ninja:

20kop40gr1842.th.jpg20kop40gr1842-2.th.jpg20kop40gr1842-3.th.jpg25kop1798.th.jpg25kop1798-2.th.jpg25kop1798-3.th.jpg50kop1839.th.jpg50kop1839-2.th.jpg50kop1839-3.th.jpg

Nope, I cannot return them anymore, too late ;) At least I didn't paid the full price ... Any other opinions ? :ninja:

1798 is 100% fake. The rest are hard to tell from the photos, but 1839 looks ok except for the edge.

I am just curious - what was the not "full price" for 1798 polupoltinnik?

I don't remember exactly, but something around 20$-30$. It was couple of years ago. In that time, I compared it to catalog pictures and found it OK. Could you tell what's the visible problems with it ? :ninja:

Looks like the coin will be removed from my collection...

1842 is perfectly normal. Dies match known pieces. Quite scare, so a good buy if you got it cheaply.

Best,

Steve

Not really, I'm not collecting fakes, copies, etc. So it still bad ;) I was fooled by very attractive low prices. :ninja: But I saw a lot of people paying $100 - $1000 dollars for bad fakes... Now I've got my lesson and I don't buy anything without an authenticity garantee and a return possibility. However sometimes it's really hard to tell the difference between genuine and fakes ;)

1842 is perfectly normal. Dies match known pieces. Quite scarce, so a good buy if you got it cheaply.

Best,

Steve

Not really, I'm not collecting fakes, copies, etc. So it still bad ;) I was fooled by very attractive low prices. ;) But I saw a lot of people paying $100 - $1000 dollars for bad fakes... Now I've got my lesson and I don't buy anything without an authenticity garantee and a return possibility. However sometimes it's really hard to tell the difference between genuine and fakes ;)

:ninja: I'm confused. My opinion was that the 1842 was fine (genuine, a bargain).

Don't have a problem with the dual denomination coin - nice buy.

The edging of the 1839 poltina concerns me - I have never seen anything like that before. Otherwise I wouldn't have a problem with it.

The polupoltina coin is obviously a counterfeit. It's a rather scarce coin and even in a low grade, it's easily several hundred dollar coin. Not a chance for a steal if it happened to be on ebay. There are just too many indications to say that it's clearly a fake, one is that the details isn't anything like a genuine one. Secondly, it doesn't look like silver. Lastly this seems to be pretty silly but it's way too circular. Technology in St. Petersburg wasn't upgraded until the early 1800s so all coins struck before couldn't possibly be a perfect circle. Trust me, it's almost impossible to find a filler Paul I polupoltina coin in any grade under one hundred dollars.

:ninja: I'm confused. My opinion was that the 1842 was fine (genuine, a bargain).

Sorry I got you wrong ! ;) By the way, I paid EUR 19.25 for it. ;) I've missed couple of attemps to buy this coin before with bids over 100$ ;)

Don't have a problem with the dual denomination coin - nice buy.

The edging of the 1839 poltina concerns me - I have never seen anything like that before. Otherwise I wouldn't have a problem with it.

The polupoltina coin is obviously a counterfeit. It's a rather scarce coin and even in a low grade, it's easily several hundred dollar coin. Not a chance for a steal if it happened to be on ebay. There are just too many indications to say that it's clearly a fake, one is that the details isn't anything like a genuine one. Secondly, it doesn't look like silver. Lastly this seems to be pretty silly but it's way too circular. Technology in St. Petersburg wasn't upgraded until the early 1800s so all coins struck before couldn't possibly be a perfect circle. Trust me, it's almost impossible to find a filler Paul I polupoltina coin in any grade under one hundred dollars.

Thank you for this clarification. I'm not surprised about the 1798 coin. Even the 20 kopek-40 groszy coin is clearly heavier then polupoltina when you taken them both in hands ! :ninja: Tonight I'll try to post the complete edge pictures of the 1839 poltina compared to 1840 genuine poltina I have. ;)

Another polupoltina type : 1797 polupoltina

Not really, I'm not collecting fakes, copies, etc. So it still bad ;) I was fooled by very attractive low prices. :ninja: But I saw a lot of people paying $100 - $1000 dollars for bad fakes... Now I've got my lesson and I don't buy anything without an authenticity garantee and a return possibility. However sometimes it's really hard to tell the difference between genuine and fakes ;)

I'm curious, and I don't mean to be critical, but are you in such an urgent need for these coins that you have to buy through Ebay and deal with unknown suppliers of dubious reputation?

There are several very reliable Russian coin sources in the US that would be happy to help you put together a (genuine) fine Russian collection graded within your budget:

DEALERS I know:

Alexander Basok - New York (www.rustypennies.com)

Dmitri Markov - New York (www.russian-coins.net)

Jim Elmen - Santa Rosa (CA)

Mark Teller - Encino (CA) (www.tellercoins.com)

Steve Harvey - LA (CA)

...and others. These dealers have wide sources for finding Russian coins and have the expertise to know if a coin is genuine or fake.

AUCTION HOUSES:

Goldberg - usually medium to high quality items

Heritage - same as above

Kuenker - lots of Russian Items

Others - folks on this forum can provide many other examples of reliable Auction houses

You can buy from these gentlemen with utmost confidence, and, in the rare instance where even they are hoodwinked by a fake, they will always make it good.

Sincerely,

Marv

DEALERS I know:

Steve Harvey - LA (CA)

...and others. These dealers have wide sources for finding Russian coins and have the expertise to know if a coin is genuine or fake.

Marv

I think A Basok is from IL not from NY :ninja:

Price is an issue, although eBay is catching up in that respect.

It appears though that folks on this forum spend a lot of time letting others know that indeed they've gotten a great price...for a fake. And since fakes are proliferating, it seems to me that the case for dealing with a recognized expert is all the stronger. Perhaps Ebay's venue as a coin source is past. Even a slabbed coin from Ebay doesn't guaranty authenticity. Especially where it concerns scarce or rare coins, the chance to stumble upon one, buy it for cents on the dollar and have it be genuine seems remote.

Marv

It appears though that folks on this forum spend a lot of time letting others know that indeed they've gotten a great price...for a fake. And since fakes are proliferating, it seems to me that the case for dealing with a recognized expert is all the stronger. Perhaps Ebay's venue as a coin source is past. Even a slabbed coin from Ebay doesn't guaranty authenticity. Especially where it concerns scarce or rare coins, the chance to stumble upon one, buy it for cents on the dollar and have it be genuine seems remote.

Marv

Very True! A sad state of affairs :ninja:

I'm curious, and I don't mean to be critical, but are you in such an urgent need for these coins that you have to buy through Ebay and deal with unknown suppliers of dubious reputation?

There are several very reliable Russian coin sources in the US that would be happy to help you put together a (genuine) fine Russian collection graded within your budget:

DEALERS I know:

Steve Harvey - LA (CA)

AUCTION HOUSES:

Goldberg - usually medium to high quality items

Heritage - same as above

Kuenker - lots of Russian Items

Others - folks on this forum can provide many other examples of reliable Auction houses

You can buy from these gentlemen with utmost confidence, and, in the rare instance where even they are hoodwinked by a fake, they will always make it good.

Sincerely,

Marv

I've already ordered coins from Alex Basok and Dimitri Markov and was 100% satisfied ! :ninja: Thank you for other sources ! ;)

DEALERS I know:

Sincerely,

Marv

Very true. Alex Basok recently took a coin back from me for full immediate refund, after NCS could not verify authenticity.

Archived