CoinPeople.com

Mint error or post-mint?

I found this in my change, it is slightly off-centre and has a lot of rim damage. It looks like post-mint, but could it be mint damage?

5p1.jpg

5p2.jpg

5p3.jpg

5p4.jpg

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Post mint. When struck the metal becomes hot and fluid which is how it moves about on the surface and into the dies. If this was pre-mint it would have a very different and smoother apprearance. IMHO.

Post mint. When struck the metal becomes hot and fluid which is how it moves about on the surface and into the dies. If this was pre-mint it would have a very different and smoother apprearance. IMHO.

Thanks Art, your comments are much appreciated. However, a valued member has suggested that it might be the Blakesley effect mixed with poor metal flow.

Either way, it's an interesting coin and one that I'll keep as it only cost me 5p :ninja:

Thanks Art, your comments are much appreciated. However, a valued member has suggested that it might be the Blakesley effect mixed with poor metal flow.

Either way, it's an interesting coin and one that I'll keep as it only cost me 5p :ninja:

Could be a poor alloy that was subject to damage but if you look at the lettering around the "holes" it appears that they were fully struck and then suffered separation. In particular the "G" would have flowed out differently had the metal been missing when the coin was struck. Perhaps this happened in the barrel of coins before bagging or shipment. I'd be more inclined to suggest a nipper after some circulation. So my "opinion" may in fact be incorrect but I'd stick by it anyway. I'd certainly keep the coin in my collection.

I was thinking Blakesley effect too. I was going to say it earlier but I didn't know the name (and I had/have work to do). Art is right in that a pre-striking damage becomes smoother looking after striking. I think this is pretty smooth looking (no joke) as the result of some flow.

• 8 months later...

Archived