CoinPeople.com

2010 Canadian Penny with markings.

AMDSCOrPiO

• 1 month later...
just a 2010 penny, no errors on the other side.. that I could see anyways.

I wonder if it is a problem with the plating of the planchet.

Our pennies are suppose to be steel plated with zinc & copper.

The mint has also been putting out zinc planchets covered in copper. (which they publicly said they were no longer doing)

I say this because you say there is no evidence of any unusual marking on the reverse.

Usually when the dies clash, you get evidence on both sides of the next coins minted... it also appears in you photo to relate to nothing from the reverse of a cent coin.

This is the first one like that I've seen, thanks for sharing.

I wonder if it is a problem with the plating of the planchet.

Our pennies are suppose to be steel plated with zinc & copper.

The mint has also been putting out zinc planchets covered in copper. (which they publicly said they were no longer doing)

I say this because you say there is no evidence of any unusual marking on the reverse.

Usually when the dies clash, you get evidence on both sides of the next coins minted... it also appears in you photo to relate to nothing from the reverse of a cent coin.

This is the first one like that I've seen, thanks for sharing.

I'm inclined to think it is a die crack. I just found 3 2010 pennies with similar markings, 2 of which had the exact same pattern of markings. I was searching for some reference of these markings and I found this forum. If you are interested, I can try to get some photos if the coins to post here.

Archived