CoinPeople.com

Long term storage and display of canadian coins

ebro

Hi,

I would like the advice of more experienced collectors as to the best way to store and display my collection.

I have a reasonably good collection under way, of all sizes of coins

Large pennies

Small pennies

Silver 5 cent

Nickel 5 cents

Dimes

Quarters

Halves

Dollars

Tokens

Some are in blue whitman folders (press in)

Some are in Whitman "bookshelf" albums (cardboard with sliding plastic on each side to hold the coin)

Some are loose in plastic pages (cws)

Some are in stapled 2x2 holders

some are in adhesive (2x2) holders.

What is the best way to preserve the coins, yet keep them available for display.

I have to say that my gut reaction is to prefer the blue whitman press-in folders, as there is a satisfaction in filling the last hole and completing a book !.

I realize that this may be the WORST option in terms of preservation and protection.

(also, there are omissions, for example the album for quarters omits the 2008 "poppy" quarter.)

and there is no room for additions, such as a 2005 poppy quarter (which someone presumeably "rescued" from a mint issued bookmark.

Plastic capsules may be better, but how do you organize them ?

Are there capsules available for all sizes of Canadian coins)?

Are the 2x2 (stapled or adhesive) archival ?

I don't think the collection merits being slabbed or sealed in plastic, as I imagine the cost per coin can get prohibitive.

I thank you in advance for your input and advice. I am starting to realize that the collecting is half the battle, finding a way to organize, protect and store is a whole 'nother aspect of the hobby.

Well, let's start with the definition of display... would you like to have the coins displayed somewhere in a display, or are you more interested in having them in binders or boxes?

Well, let's start with the definition of display... would you like to have the coins displayed somewhere in a display, or are you more interested in having them in binders or boxes?

By display, I mean easy to look at or refer to, ( show off...) not a "museum display", always out in the open.

Nearly all mine are in 2x2s. They're cheap, provide enough protection and are accessible for moving around.

For the really low value stuff like non key date pennies and nickels, I see no problem with using a whitman album. I have about 40 lincoln/wheat cents which I keep in an old "world coins" book with plastic (probably PVC) flips within the pages. As I'm not worried about any loss of investment due to damage, and I don't have much inclination to seriously pursue the collection, it works fine for me.

Nearly all mine are in 2x2s. They're cheap, provide enough protection and are accessible for moving around.

For the really low value stuff like non key date pennies and nickels, I see no problem with using a whitman album. I have about 40 lincoln/wheat cents which I keep in an old "world coins" book with plastic (probably PVC) flips within the pages. As I'm not worried about any loss of investment due to damage, and I don't have much inclination to seriously pursue the collection, it works fine for me.

I think that binders and 2x2's (self adhesive with the tab on the bottom) will win out, with the whitman's kept for low value coins like pennies, nickels, modern quarters, etc. Where there is a coin of moderate value in the collection (key date), it will be removed from the whitman and placed in a 2x2 for protection.

I had been considering plastic capsules, but the investment versus value of the collection doesn't seem appropriate. And then there is the problem of organizing capsules.

Thanks for the advice.

I think that binders and 2x2's (self adhesive with the tab on the bottom) will win out, with the whitman's kept for low value coins like pennies, nickels, modern quarters, etc. Where there is a coin of moderate value in the collection (key date), it will be removed from the whitman and placed in a 2x2 for protection.

I had been considering plastic capsules, but the investment versus value of the collection doesn't seem appropriate. And then there is the problem of organizing capsules.

Thanks for the advice.

No problem. I have very few coins in capsules (unless you count slabs :ninja:), mainly just a few 1oz silver rounds/coins. They are kind of a hassle to keep in order. What I might do if I get more in capsules, is buy more of the ICCS plastic pages (2.5" x 2.5" squares) for use with them.

Archived