CoinPeople.com

Dirty Copper 5K 1804EM

kopeikin

Hi, I have this coin. Is not it a beauty? These green spots make me unhappy however. Can anyone suggest please how to get rid of them? I already kept it in olive oil a few months. This dissolves green things somehow but lightens the chocolate background as well. Help!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, I have this coin. Is not it a beauty? These green spots make me unhappy however. Can anyone suggest please how to get rid of them? I already kept it in olive oil a few months. This dissolves green things somehow but lightens the chocolate background as well. Help!

kopeikin i am very sorry to tell you but you do need to clean this artifact as it is a fake :ninja:

kopeikin i am very sorry to tell you but you do need to clean this artifact as it is a fake :ninja:

one-kuna. I am also sorry but you are wrong. It is not fake. First of all it does not look fake. Second it was purchased from very reputable New York coin dealer as authentic. This person does not sell fakes. You know him very well. Anyways do you know how to clean it?

one-kuna. I am also sorry but you are wrong. It is not fake. First of all it does not look fake. Second it was purchased from very reputable New York coin dealer as authentic. This person does not sell fakes. You know him very well. Anyways do you know how to clean it?

As far as cleaning goes, most of my attempts were not very successful, most cleaning methods will strip the patina and the coin will look ugly. I understand that patient soaking in extra fine olive oil might help. I have not tried this yet. Also, I have read that there is a product called Coin Care which is an extra refined oil with some added solvents that people use.

Since you have already tried using olive oil, I don't think it will help further -- and as you say, it might also strip the brown patina over time.

Another thing is that the corrosion seems to be WITHIN the coin underneath an area of lamination (visible on the left side looking at the obverse). This means that it is hard for the oil to contact it, and takes too long to work. In the meantime, the nice brown patina gradually disappears. And you will still have pitting underneath the green areas, even if you got rid of it you would still have the pits to look at.

Otherwise, it is a nice coin, though.

It is a copy.

Reputable diler? Even more likely to be mistaken if he does thru the volumes of coins... Without certifying them! This particular copy die was discussed a few years ago on some russian forum too.

Send it to NGC and you will get the verdict just like the other "lucky" owners did. Nothing needs to be proven here.

Almost ANY reputable auction (not mentioning dilers) sold a LOT of coins that seemed to be looking right. Quite a few of them came from NGC as no decision at best or fakes. And it's only my experience! By the way, this is the reason why I want all of my coins to be slabbed.

Interesting. What makes you say that?

alexbg2, i am sure you have one in your possesion, take your own piece in your hand and compare with this one - dots, round circles, eagle faces - and you see a difference immediately :ninja:

one-kuna. I am also sorry but you are wrong. It is not fake. First of all it does not look fake. Second it was purchased from very reputable New York coin dealer as authentic. This person does not sell fakes. You know him very well.

I was wondering if your reputable "dealer" can take this artifact back for full refund :ninja:

one-kuna. It is not fake. First of all it does not look fake.
:ninja:

does this genuine one look close to yours artifact ??

http://www.numismat.ru/cgi-bin2/cat_view.cgi?id=2466

:ninja:

does this genuine one look close to yours artifact ??

http://www.numismat.ru/cgi-bin2/cat_view.cgi?id=2466

Thanks for posting this picture. It just confirms that my coin is authentic. There are no differences in dies between these two. If you want give me your email I will send you a high resolution photo (22 MB). You will change your mind. I would place a high resolution photo on this site however apparently I am linited with 0.1 MB - you cannot see too much on this picture. Regards.

Thanks for posting this picture. It just confirms that my coin is authentic. There are no differences in dies between these two. If you want give me your email I will send you a high resolution photo (22 MB). You will change your mind. I would place a high resolution photo on this site however apparently I am linited with 0.1 MB - you cannot see too much on this picture. Regards.

Without commenting on whether it's genuine, the dies are different on both sides.

For example, look at the right eagle wing. There's a feather pointing down towards the center of the cross on the orb on yours, but not on the Numismat coin.

Best,

Steve

Without commenting on whether it's genuine, the dies are different on both sides.

For example, look at the right eagle wing. There's a feather pointing down towards the center of the cross on the orb on yours, but not on the Numismat coin.

Best,

Steve

Die variation are possible. Please post better pictures, and include pictures of the edge. You can host your images on imageshack.us, and post link on this forum.

It is a copy.

Reputable diler? Even more likely to be mistaken if he does thru the volumes of coins... Without certifying them! This particular copy die was discussed a few years ago on some russian forum too.

Send it to NGC and you will get the verdict just like the other "lucky" owners did. Nothing needs to be proven here.

Almost ANY reputable auction (not mentioning dilers) sold a LOT of coins that seemed to be looking right. Quite a few of them came from NGC as no decision at best or fakes. And it's only my experience! By the way, this is the reason why I want all of my coins to be slabbed.

How is it that you are always so quick to identify fakes by low res pictures on forums, but consistently fail to identify fakes in your own eBay merchandise?

alexbg2, i am sure you have one in your possesion, take your own piece in your hand and compare with this one - dots, round circles, eagle faces - and you see a difference immediately ;)

Dear one-kuna, if this is a fake it is a very dangerous one. I have been specializing in the large copper coins for many, many years and consider myself an experienced collector. Provided that the edge looks as OK as the sides do I would not hesitate to buy this coin.

Would you please indicate precisely the criteria of this (fake?) coin? Thank you Sigi :ninja:

P.S.: My coins can be viewed at OmniCoin. Please hit the link below. I'm pretty sure to not have any fakes???

alexbg2, i am sure you have one in your possesion, take your own piece in your hand and compare with this one - dots, round circles, eagle faces - and you see a difference immediately :ninja:

I have looked through some available images of the 1804, 1803 and 1805 5 kopeek coins, and I will admit that I did not find any with that particular arrangement of feathers above the orb, or with that distinct style of 5 on the reverse, but considering the mintage volume for these coins, and the number of die variations that I have seen, I can not come to a verdict.

Provided that the edge looks as OK as the sides do

needs also the following:

picture of its edge - it was not provided yet

its weight

what sound does it produce when place on finger and hit by another :ninja:

Dear one-kuna, if this is a fake it is a very dangerous one. I have been specializing in the large copper coins for many, many years and consider myself an experienced collector. Provided that the edge looks as OK as the sides do I would not hesitate to buy this coin.

Would you please indicate precisely the criteria of this (fake?) coin? Thank you Sigi :ninja:

P.S.: My coins can be viewed at OmniCoin. Please hit the link below. I'm pretty sure to not have any fakes???

Hi, Sigi! I was trying to upload a high resolution pictures of this coin but so far had failed. I saw you were able to up load very large files for viewing in the past. I tried Image Shack but only the edge was uploaded. See here

http://img62.imageshack.us/i/5k1804emedge.png/

Can you please explain how you had uploaded so large images in the past? I then will upload very beautiful images of this coin.

Regards.

P.S. I am absolutely certain the coin is genuine. There is no way someone would spend so much money to copy a common coin so good it looks better then the original worn ones. The one's who doubt will be ashamed and disappointed.

The one's who doubt will be ashamed and disappointed.

pls don' t rush the event, better, pls present quality pic, edge, weight and sound does it make :ninja:

Archived