CoinPeople.com

one-kuna

ebay seller currently offers a coin - 20 kopeks 1917 at buy it now price $1200 or best offer;

it is Uzd (.), Bitkin R1;

last records found for this 20 kopek are about $3000 for PROOF condition;

a coin from ebay is too far from this condition but still has high estimate price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290418999804

this one was better M & M:

http://www.numismat.ru/cgi-bin2/cat_view.cgi?id=5165

1200$ is too expensive for 20 kop. 1917

It costs not more than a thousand.

High condition is common for this coin.

thousand bucks for this condition? you got to be kidding, who can pay so much :ninja:

In US coins, it is not unusual to see coins of little significance or importance sell for $10,000 or more.

:ninja:

In US coins, it is not unusual to see coins of little significance or importance sell for $10,000 or more.

I am absolutely ignorant of what the US coin market looks like. But I imagine that Russian coin market will eventually resemble it. Would anyone care to elaborate on that perspective? Is it almost purely grade based, or does rarity play some significance?

I am absolutely ignorant of what the US coin market looks like. But I imagine that Russian coin market will eventually resemble it. Would anyone care to elaborate on that perspective? Is it almost purely grade based, or does rarity play some significance?

As always, both rarity and condition are factors, but especially grading.

Other people might choose different examples, but this one jumps out at me.

Link to PCGS Morgan Dollar pricing guide

1879 Morgan dollar (a very common coin):

MS-62 $38

MS-63 $49

MS-64 $145

MS-65 $900

MS-66 $2900

MS-67 $45,000

As always, both rarity and condition are factors, but especially grading.

Other people might choose different examples, but this one jumps out at me.

Link to PCGS Morgan Dollar pricing guide

1879 Morgan dollar (a very common coin):

MS-62 $38

MS-63 $49

MS-64 $145

MS-65 $900

MS-66 $2900

MS-67 $45,000

That's quite amazing! I honestly can't tell the difference between MS-65 and MS-67 :ninja: I'm guessing you need some serious optics for that.

That's quite amazing! I honestly can't tell the difference between MS-65 and MS-67 ;) I'm guessing you need some serious optics for that.

I don't wish to hijack this thread, so I will stop here except to say that my eyes aren't that good either, and a price structure like that one would make me very nervous if I was a buyer.

On the other hand, money like that will get you some very impressive Russian coins, even in today's hot market. :ninja:

I don't wish to hijack this thread:

pls don't ;)

i would like to hear more in this thread on 20 kop of 1917 :ninja:

If somebody has got this ms-66 dollar, probably it makes sence to broke the slab and send the coin for slabbing agian? What if the coin comes back with ms-67 grade?

If it came back MS-67, then I suppose it would be worth much more because it would have magically "improved". ;)

Of course, if it came back MS-65, then it would just as magically be worth considerably less, because it would no longer be as desirable. :ninja:

Perhaps we will see this one day with 1917 coins. ;)

I would like to learn more about 1917 russian silver coins :ninja:

I would like to learn more about 1917 russian silver coins :ninja:

A year ago or so, there were lots of 1917 Russian silver coins (I believe 10 and 15 kopeks only, but I may be wrong) on EBay listed by a Mongolian seller.

Initially, I thought they were all fakes as they appeared pretty regularly in decent quantities. I even bought a couple of them. They looked absolutely normal and had typical bag marks. I asked the seller where he'd gotten all of those coins. I do not recall exact dates or names he mentioned but the bottom line was that the Mongolian Bank was selling some metal reserves to public. Those reserves included the hoard of Russian silver coins of 1917 as a part of it. Most likely, they got there in 1917-1919 following the known route during the civil war.

A year ago or so, there were lots of 1917 Russian silver coins (I believe 10 and 15 kopeks only, but I may be wrong) on EBay listed by a Mongolian seller.

Initially, I thought they were all fakes as they appeared pretty regularly in decent quantities. I even bought a couple of them. They looked absolutely normal and had typical bag marks. I asked the seller where he'd gotten all of those coins. I do not recall exact dates or names he mentioned but the bottom line was that the Mongolian Bank was selling some metal reserves to public. Those reserves included the hoard of Russian silver coins of 1917 as a part of it. Most likely, they got there in 1917-1919 following the known route during the civil war.

I recall that seller, and those 1917 coins. There were so many offered, I was convinced they must be knockoffs. Its great to hear the story behind them. IIRC they sold typically in the range $100-200 ea?

I recall that seller, and those 1917 coins. There were so many offered, I was convinced they must be knockoffs. Its great to hear the story behind them. IIRC they sold typically in the range $100-200 ea?

Well, as I recall, in the beginning they were selling for $100-200 USD each, however, at the end they went well below $100 each.

Archived