CoinPeople.com

Maybe I am too picky

syzygy

Sometimes I am just too picky about coin designs. Case in point is the 1987 US Constitution 5$ gold commemorative. Have you seen this piece? Here is a link to a picture on Kelly’s Coin shop site Constitution commemorative. Now this is one beautiful design…almost. If not for that “almost”, it would be the first gold coin that I own!

The reverse is excellent. All business. All the important text including the iconic script of the first words of the famous document… the quill pen as a centerpiece is a wonderful touch reminiscent of those legendary signatures on the document…beautiful, tasteful, and well done. Now for the obverse- a wonderful rendition of the Eagle…a unique rendition in fact – modernistic and bold – again, excellence! And then..there it is..another quill pen …and in the Eagle’s claw no less! Now, how does this make sense? First, Eagles don’t write – at least none that I have met. Second, if they did, would they use the feather from a bird? Finally, there is already a quill pen on the reverse! What were they thinking?

But maybe I am too picky. I wonder what it would be like to actually design a coin. I ran across some of the design works of Daniel Carr. I remember that he used to post on RCC a while back and I’m not sure if he is on here. Take a look at the evolution of designs of his Apollo coin here Apollo coin designs. It’s a very interesting set of designs. I think he did a really great job and if you scroll down to the bottom of the page….. the two dollar bimetal design…gold outside…that’s the one he got spot on!

But maybe I really am too picky…so let’s see what I could design…here we go…

1w9uf.jpg

Yeah, I am too picky :ninja:

:ninja: I dunno ... I kinda like your design ;)

Your coin design is offensive. Your thin design of liberty bertrays your "ideolized female" male dominated world view. I think a design like a scowling Susan B Anthony would be more female friendly.

:ninja: The SBA Smiley

I like the eagle image even with the quill pen, but I see your point. It's a little over the top. Remember that this is a country whose artists like to use the eagle as an image symbolizing the spirit of the people. I remember when the space shuttle exploded after launching. One artist for the Charlotte observer drew a cartoon of an eagle's face looking skyward with a tear in his eye to symbolize the sadness felt by so many people who had seen the explosion.

• 2 months later...
/-snip-/

But maybe I am too picky.  I wonder what it would be like to actually design a coin.  I ran across some of the design works of Daniel Carr.  I remember that he used to post on RCC a while back and I’m not sure if he is on here.  Take a look at the evolution of designs of his Apollo coin here Apollo coin designs. It’s a very interesting set of designs.  I think he did a really great job and if you scroll down to the bottom of the page….. the two dollar bimetal design…gold outside…that’s the one he got spot on!

/-snip-/

As an addendum, I was reading on RCC that Mr. Carr has actually produced his first coin - and with a version of the Apollo design - very tasty...

LINK

I'm not crazy about it being brass, but I may buy one just because it looks cool!

Archived